Disability-rights abuse - fighting for consequences! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability-rights abuse - fighting for consequences!

Rosie_Glass
Rosie_Glass Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited August 2017 in Research and opportunities
Hi everybody, I look forward to getting to know you! My name is Rosie. I became classed as "dis-abled" - what a lovely label! - after a recurrent, life-threatening tumour took my sight. Instead of being able to jump wildly into enjoying my 2nd chance at life I've experienced a wide range of disability-related discrimination which, although bad enough on its own has led to low self-esteem and sometimes accepting the unacceptable.

I'm working on a campaign to enforce social and legal consequences for unacceptable disability-related behaviour. I intend to do this between legislation but I need others to get involved and tell me about their own experiences to show the powers-that-be that there is a huge problem in this area of our society and to make this work! Please get in touch! Here is an article which will explain everything.

I really look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Rosie_Glass,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

Thanks for sharing your campaign with us. I've moved this into our events, research and opportunities category where other members of the community can get involved if they so wish.

If you have any questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rosie_Glass how are you getting on?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Rosie_Glass
    Hi @DannyMoore .                                                                                          Thanks so much for getting in touch. You are one of the 1st people to take an interest in this campaign.  I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply straightaway as I normally try to do - I have had some very annoying I.T. problems!                              Firstly, I'm really sorry you have had to put up with what you describe! Although I don't know you at all, I can definitely say that no-one should have to put up with the kind of behaviour and treatment that you've experienced! A lot of the time - as I'm sure you know - there are many attempts to make peoples' bad behaviour more acceptable - "they didn't mean anything," or "they just need educating" being just two delightful examples. You sound like a strong person. You have exactly the right attitude and this is exactly what is needed to make my campaign work!                                                                                                                       I'm not sure how much you've read of the introductory article (in the "About Me" section of my blog,) but the legal model and legislation I have devised will start to bring about the legal and social consequences needed to bring justice  for    those mistreated because of the "dis-abled" label.  As the article says, I really need to show those with legal powers that the total lack of consequences about disability-rights issues is a huge problem so can I ask you permission to post your reply on my blog? Would that be OK?                                                                                         Also, regarding my blog, it was always intended to document the progress of the campaign but I have neglected it lately as I have limited time and have spent that time trying to get people interested. If I have even just one regular follower I'll post every Friday. Can you follow me and spread the word too? If you can I'll be really grateful!                                                                                                      Many thanks again for getting in touch!                                                                      Very best wishes, Rosie

• [Deleted User]
  • Rosie_Glass
    Hi @DannyMoore     Sorry for the la
    te reply AGAIN! I know I told you in my last reply that I posted on my blog every Friday and would punlicise what you've had to put up with Unfortunately I haven't done this yet as the last couple of weeks have been particularly hectic! However this Friday I'll begin posting again -  including your reply to me. I'll. be regular  every Friday from then on as the campaign progresses. Again Thankyou so much for speaking out. It's just what this campaign needs! Rosie :) 

• Rosie_Glass
    Hi @DannyMoore . I hope you're well! I'm sorry to ask you this again. I know you've said you're fine that I share your story but can I also confirm that it's OK to publish it with your name too?
  • [Deleted User]
  • Rosie_Glass
    @DannyMoore . Is it OK to include your name? Some people might not want to so I thought I would check. It would help if I could include it! :)

• [Deleted User]
  • Rosie_Glass
    @Rosie_Glass Thanks Danny! Have a look tomorrow eve and my post with your story will be on my blog. After that I WILL stick to posting weekly on Fridays! If only there were more hours in the day! Also unfortunately fatigue is one of the delightful after-effects of the tumours. But it's well worth it if I can get this campaign off the ground. Please do keep in touch and keep reading and sharing so more people can get involved! I'll keep an eye out for what you're doing too. Thanks" Rosie :)
  • Rosie_Glass
    @DannyMoore - Hi Danny. Sorry to have been incommunicado for such a long time! We were in contact some time ago about a campaign I was/am working on called Facing The Music. In a nutshell  Its aim is to fight for enforcible  consequences for all types of disability-related mistreatment. I really appreciated it when you responded as I've been working on this pretty much on my own. It's really starting to progress now so I just wanted to let you know briefly where it's at. It will be opening mid-July with a performance in the Wirral. This has been some political interest in the campaign and talk of lobbying for the campaign's aims in parliament. I have been invited to a parliamentary meeting next month too to discuss it further. So to end this email before it gets too long, your experiences, although horribly unpleasant, have not been in vain. I will continue fighting and now it looks as if I will get a lot of back-up behind me! Thanks again for speaking out! Best wishes, Rosie
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    People first thought maybe equality was the answer for Usa segregation ànd south African apartheid. That led to u.k. making Race more equal than all other equalities. 

Racism is the only one equalities breach regarded as important enough to  be enforced by officials.    

Disablism, a Less Equal Equality,  can only be battled a single incident at a time, by the victims, one by one and without support, fighting though courts.   
    ( Disablism, said Sir Trevor Phillips, is " invisible, universally practiced, institutionalised, and is, in it's effect on people's lives,  in many ways far worse than racism".)

Ageism is The Least Equal Equality. 
    ( Promoting and practicing Ageism appears virtually to be national  official policy.)
  • victoriafinney
    victoriafinney Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    My family have bullied me horrendously for a decade after discovering my illness. It is basically all instigated by my mother who has actually gone so far as to befriend a man who erm... Violated me ...And use him to trigger my ptsd. She is an utterly fou! And disgusting human being. Honestly she stops me from getting too depressed. I might be disabled but at least Im not her!

Will the police lift a finger?
    Nope
    Because "its a family issue"

Lets see how they react when I go to them next time she posts or says something obnoxious and I report it as disability hate crime. Im.not holding my breath but she has made enough posts denigrating my.medical situation for it to apply very very easily.

I am prepared to involve a solicitor to ensure conviction next  i report her. She is a terrible person who belongs in prison. Nothing woukd make me happier than keeping her away from vulnerable children and adults by having her locked up.

Because of her half my family won't talk to me.
    But because of her I am also strong enough to cope with this condition. It might hurt. But Im not disturbed and totally lacking insight like her and knowing I have that insight cheers me right up. She still honestly believes everything is my fault.

Some VERY important people disagree.
  • Rosie_Glass
    Dear Victoria
    Thanks very much for getting in touch! I'm so sorry to hear how you have been mistreated because of your condition and apologies also for not replying sooner. I'm doing this campaign on my own at the moment and there never seem to be enough hours in the day!

Please know that my thoughts are with you. Are you getting any support for any of this? From my own experiences I know that sometimes you just keep going because you have to but any kind of support is always welcome, I think.

As far as this campaign is concerned, peoples' experiences are exactly what is needed so that the enormity of what is going on and the necessity for action can be proved! Could I have your permission to share your experiences with political contacts - may just be extracts from what you write? Would that be OK?

I will of course keep blogging when I have time about the campaign's general progress but where people have contributed personal stuff I'll keep in touch personally too- if that's OK.

Yes, you do sound very strong - exactly what's needed! I have great respect for that!

Very best wishes,

Rosie

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.