Carrers allowence — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carrers allowence

bevt2017
bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Hi
My husband has been my career since November 2016. He has only recently been awarded carrers allowance. due to me having to go through the courts for P.I.P.
He was told they would back date the claim from November. Then before payment was made, they would take so much of the back payments to give back to the ESA, has we were getting it has a couple.
This morning he received his first payment from carrers allowance and nothing for back payment. When my husband phoned them about it. She said that on the computer it says to be revised? 
Now I'm really getting fed up and angry with these people. It was a nightmare for me claiming P.I.P. and I'm stressing out about this now.
What do they mean revised?.
Now he has to wait for a phone call from a manager? 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Bev

Is your ESA contribution based, income related or income related top up ?

There are two parts to carers allowance. This could be where the over payment has occured. the two parts are CA and Carers Premium

Means-tested benefits

If you are paid Carer’s Allowance, it will count as income when your means-tested benefits are calculated. However your means-tested benefit calculations will include a carer premium, carer addition or carer element.

The carer premium is an extra amount of money included in the calculation of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit, and Council Tax Reduction (Rate Relief in Northern Ireland).

The carer addition is an equivalent amount paid with Pension Credit.

The carer element is an equivalent amount paid with Universal Credit.

The carer premium and carer addition are both worth £34.95 a week. The carer element is worth £151.89 a month (approx. £35 a week).

What this means in practice is that if you are paid Carer’s Allowance and are already getting a means-tested benefit, your means-tested benefit will decrease slightly, but overall you are likely to be better off by the amount of the carer premium, carer addition or carer element.

Note: If you can’t get Carer’s Allowance because you are being paid another benefit that overlaps with it, you can still get the carer premium or addition if you have an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance. If you meet the criteria for Carer’s Allowance (or would do so but for the fact that your earnings are too high) you can still get the carer element in Universal Credit even if you don’t make a claim for Carer’s Allowance

I hope that helps

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that you're having to go through such hassle, @bevt2017

CR has provided some great information above, and hopefully a benefits advisor will be in touch soon. In the meantime, you may like to read Scope's information on Carers Allowance
  • bevt2017
    Hi CR
    Sorry I had a bit of a break down this morning.
    I hope this helps someone else.
    Ok so I recieve employment and support allowance.
    This afternoon my husband recieved a letter. Which basically said all back payment was being paid back to ESA. 
    So my husband was going to leave it at that. I told him the letter was wrong, and begged him to contact DWP again. (He really didnt want to). Everything was done and explained through the career society. (So I know it was wrong).
    He contacted DWP again and explained what the letter said.
    They couldn't appologise enough. Apparently the letter was sent out by an automated generated letter.
    Apparently the ESA haven't got back to DWP with an amount. (That's why it said revised on the computer).
    They said it was done, because they wanted to start payments. 
    All this stress for nothing.
    Thanx CR
    Always there when I need help
    Bev 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    bevt2017,

I'm so glad you got this sorted out. Just as CR says, an award of carer's allowance does mean income-related ESA which you get as a couple has to be recalculated. On the one hand you have more money they have to take into account, but on the other hand, you should have the carer premium there as well. 

Carer's allowance is worth slightly more than the carer premium, which is why you get the decrease. 

But what is happening here sounds to be about what ESA were paying whilst you were waiting for your PIP decision to be corrected. That amount has to be set against the arrears of ESA with the carer premium & taking into account the arrears of carer's allowance.

ESA have to give a figure for how much was paid over that time, and it looks as if they didn't do that. Which as you say, has caused you a lot of stress! I'm glad the carer's society and CR were on hand to give you some support.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bevt2017

I'm very sorry to hear about your current situation.

How are things today ???

Is there any help/info that I can help you with ???

Many thanks.
  • bevt2017
    @BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi Will
    Yes the Carrers society have been amazing. They are disgusted with the way ive been treated. And they have been there for me and my husband every step of the way. 
    My husband is older than me, and just turned 58. He has shoulder pains, due to a build up of fluid. (Plus old age).
    So they are helping me get a scooter instead of my wheelchair. That's what the money would of gone on Including equipment.
    Thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.