Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Reasonable Adjustments at work

AlanhAlanh Member Posts: 8 Listener
I wonder if anyone else has had similiar problems at work. My employer has been supportive (manager), but since a Well Being officer has got involved I have been told what to do and have been offered to go part-time but obviously I could not pay all my bills. In relation to the usual shift pattern of 7/2.30, 2-9.30 and 9-7.30am. I have been told that after the phased return I would be expected to work such shifts, otherwise I would be letting the company down and my colleagues at work. Has anyone else had a similiar experience?

Replies

• Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @Alanh!

Good to hear that your manager has been supportive, however it's appalling to think that you've been told you would be letting the company and your colleagues down by something you have no control over. Unfortunately, I'm sure you're not alone in experiencing this either.

As I'm sure you're already aware, employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments. Is there anything else that you'd like to make them aware of going forwards?
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,293 Disability Gamechanger
    I've no idea what a wellbeing officer is but start with spelling out very gently to them that you consider yourself a disabled person as defined by the Equality Act 2010 (do make sure that this is likely to be the case before you say this. Plenty of information online) and that as such you need your employer to consider 'reasonable adjustments' before you enter into any other discussions. They may consider going part-time or changing duties as part of that so it's on you to come up with workable, practical alternatives. 

It's an anticipatory duty but you'll push things along if you identify the RAs you need. They can only refuse them in very ltd. circumstances but be aware that they may not know that.

My fave employer response is "... but we don't usually do that".

Well done employer, you have just identified exactly what an RA is!!!
Sign in or join us to comment.