Hi, my name is gillybaby! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is gillybaby!

gillybaby
gillybaby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I had my PIP interview this morning. I suffer angina along with a few other complicated long term health conditions. I have been off work sick since mid August and only left the house for health and work appointments. The assessor asked me how far I can walk. I answered her honestly and said 5-10 metres before I am out of breath, dizzy and exhausted. So she asked how often? I answered, everyday, this in my own home, and going up stairs is worse! She asked what's the furthest iv walked? I told her I had to walk to the chemist 50 metres once since August because they had not sent my cardiac medications. If I had not gone I would of not had cardiac medication for a whole weekend. It was extremely difficult to complete this walk. 
She read back, so you can walk 50metres and back.
i corrected her to what I had told her. She again said "well you can walk 50 metre and back!! 
Will now my assessment be based on this because I managed to struggle once??

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gillybaby, and welcome to the community!

Hope you're feeling okay after your assessment and I'm sorry to hear you had difficulties getting your point across, it definitely sounds as though your walking 50 metres should be considered as a one-off event and not something you can manage on an everyday basis.

You might want to request a copy of your assessment report so you can see how things are, and don't forget that if the decision comes and it's not what you were expecting, you have the option to appeal. Keep us updated and we'll do our best to support you where we can.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Depending on the assessor they may well say 50m there and back equals 100m.
    Don't worry about it. Ask for a copy of the assessment report and if the HCP has misrepresented what you said then you do have the opportunity to ask to speak to the DM before the decision is made and correct it. If you can get a supporting letter from your GP detailing very specifically the problems you have with the descriptors it will help if needed

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • gillybaby
    gillybaby Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Cockney Rebel & PippaScope for your information xx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @gillybaby

You could ask in Ask a benefits advisor category on this site where a benefits expert could give you 'chapter and verse' on PIP walking qualification criteria.

Did you have to stop and rest a number of times during the 50m walk and back?
    You can still qualify for 12 points mobility if you can only walk 20m before you have to stop and rest for a minute or so, and then repeat the pattern.  I don't think there's any specific limit to the number of times you can repeat the pattern. And of course you stopped walking and rested while in the chemist.

Also, reliability should be taken into account, i.e. you suffered severe discomfort during the walk.

And your mobility should be judged on how it is for 50% of the time. The 50m walk and back was a rare occasion, certainly far less than the 50% of times that you walk when it's usually much less.

If you aren't awarded the mobility points you think you deserve, you can clarify the details of the 50m walk in a mandatory reconsideration request.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.