Hi, my name is Pol! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Pol!

Options
Pol
Pol Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I am my wife's full time carer. My wife is housebound due to having genetic spinal degeneration and subsequent loss of discs and also severe pain caused by bone pressing on her nerve fibres. She had been asked to go to a face to face assessment, but her GP has sent a letter to the assessment centre for a home visit. So far the centre had now merely issued a new assessment date at the centre in the next town. My wife is unable to soit with her legs down and has them raised at all times and is also unable to use a wheelchair. She is obviously concerned that if she doesn't attend the assessment, she may have her benefit stopped. She isn't against having the assessment, but just needs one at home. What should she do to achieve this?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pol, and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble requesting a home assessment, especially as it seems you've done everything right so far and clearly have a need for a home visit.

Have you tried ringing the assessment centre to check they received the GP letter? If not, this would be advisable and most likely the quickest way of resolving the situation for you and your wife. There should be a contact number on any documents you've received so far, or if not you can find local contact details on this website.

Let us know how you get on and if we can be of any further assistance, and good luck! 
  • Pol
    Options
    They did receive the GP letter on the 1st of November. They cancelled my wife's 3rd November appointment and in an email said "to give us time to review the request and we will write to you formally with the outcome of the request." The following day a new automatic appointment was arranged. Not sure if this is the decision they made or if some other decision for a home visit is to be made in the interim. Not sure how long their decision processes take!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Pol Ahh, I see. Have you spoken to anybody since the new automatic appointment was arranged? There can be severe delays and backlogs but it definitely wouldn't hurt to ring again, just so you know whether or not to wait to hear something else.

I've also moved this post into the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category to see if they have any suggestions for you.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Gp letters need to be very specific when a home visit is needed.
    At this stage you might get your local MP involved

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pol
    Options
    My next port of call.....thank you!
  • Pol
    Options
    Thank you.....very useful information!
  • Pol
    edited June 2022
    Options
    [Username removed], I'm rather new to all this.....what is an RA?
  • Pol
    Options
    Also, would the fact that my wife is still on DLA at the higher rates of both mobility and care?
  • Pol
    Options
    Thank you so much.....very helpful!
  • Pol
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Update.......the assessment people suddenly found that they had enough evidence in the paperwork.....my wife sends you a big thank you Mike [removed by moderator]. A very big thank you from me too.....we have had several weeks of stress and anxiety over this.
  • Pol
    Options
    Thank you for all your expertise. It's just a shame not everyone has access to the right knowledge to deal with this kind of thing. Many people don't even have access to the internet, so they are even more disadvantaged.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited June 2022
    Options

Well - this has been sorted before we even got chance to reach it in the queue!

Thanks [Username removed] !

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.