Hi, my name is mariastone! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is mariastone!

Options
mariastone
mariastone Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Im new to this group but i have a question about carers allowance...i applied on 11th oct (6 weeks ago) i know the 8 weeks isnt up yet but i could really do with the money..so far they owe me 19 weeks backdated to when my son was awarded dla..ive rang carers a few times and now they are saying claims are taking 12 weeks!when i applied online the email said 8..any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mariastone, and welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that you're struggling financially, it does seem that the wait times are very variable at the moment. As you've already spoken to them, all we can really do is recommend that you try and hang in there and perhaps chase it up when you reach the 8 week mark. 

You might also want to check out whether you're eligible for any other financial benefits/reductions that can come from receiving an award, and maybe have a look at the online benefits calculator. Best of luck with your application and fingers crossed you'll hear something soon!
  • mariastone
    mariastone Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you i will hang on until dec 6th and if i havent heard by then as thats the 8 weeks i will phone again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.