A few questions about benefits - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A few questions about benefits

Options
2»

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Bazza,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this one.
    Pension Credit will take your wife's Carers Allowance into account in full, but a Carer Premium of £34.95 is added to the Pension Credit applicable amount, which effectively reduces the amount of Carers Allowance that they take off your Pension Credit. They take £62.70 off you but give you £34.95. 
    If you have a Pension Credit letter where your award is broken down, you should see a figure of £34.95 in the amount you need to Iive on. If Pension Credit are taking the Carers Allowance into account this carer premium should already be in the calculation.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Tracy1965
    Tracy1965 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    My son been caring for me for many years I was told before I could claim careers allowance for him his now 15 and I’ve never claimed it for him but I’m not sure if I can 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Tracy1965,

Carers Allowance can only be claimed by a carer, for looking after a severely disabled person who is receiving the middle or higher rate DLA care, any rate of PIP daily living or any rate of AA (Attendance Allowance). 
    If your son is 15 he cannot claim any benefits in his own right as he is not old enough so he wouldn't be able to claim CA for looking after anybody. You can claim it for looking after him if he gets DLA middle or higher rate care. There are a few other rules as well, in that the carer looks after the disabled person for 35 hours a week or more, and doesn't earn more than £116 a week from paid employment.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.