Enhanced Rate of ESA for capital reduction. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enhanced Rate of ESA for capital reduction.

Annabelle26
Annabelle26 Scope Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
I have just rang the DWP to see where todays benefit payment is.  The person started to go on about letters about my capital telling me if it had dropped below £6,000 I would be entitled to an enhanced payment.  I supposed to have been receiving letters about it.  I am claiming contributory ESA & am in the Support Group.  She suggested I look at my capital & write to them with statements etc.  She eventually got around to looking at my missing payment & could not see why I was not paid.  She eventually  did something on her computer & apparently the payment should eventually be paid sometime today.  I have never heard of this enhanced rate.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Annabelle26, I've moved your post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, as they will be most informed about how the enhanced payments work. They're receiving a high volume of messages at the moment, but somebody will get back to you ASAP. Keep us updated and let us know if you do receive your missing payment! 
  • Annabelle26
    The payment has arrived in my account.  I also received the Form about missing a Health Consultation.  I had rang up on the day & spoke to a sympathetic person who said I sounded rough & said she would make a note.  I had already used my appointment to a more convenient time.  I sent it back immediately with lots of detail about how I was feeling even down to my bowel movement.  I do not think I qualify for the enhanced ESA as my capital is over the £6,000.
    I also had a Doctors appointment & asked her about a report for the DWP & something to prove I was too sick to go to the Health Assessment but apparently GP's do not do that. I was still not feeling great & also had a anxiety attack on the way & got there with 2 minutes to spare but she was running late so it was OK.  The DWP send a questionnaire if necessary to fill in & she will contact me if she gets one.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Annabelle26,

As Mike has explained, you can have more than £6,000 and still get income-related ESA. Thank you Mike!

It's not possible to tell really without looking at your benefit letters but I suspect what is happening is that the DWP have spotted that you are entitled to some income-related ESA, even though because of your savings, you may not be entitled to the maximum amount (as Mike has explained, you lose £1 per week of income-related ESA for every £250 or part of £250 above £6,000).

Turning to your not turning up for the health assessment, you rang on the day so that should show you had a good reason, and you have already moved the appointment. It's a shame your GP won't give you a backdated sick note for the day but at least they are willing to fill in a questionnaire if they get one. 

If you get a decision saying they don't accept your reasons, your ESA will stop. It's really important that you ask for a mandatory reconsideration (within a month if possible), and appeal if you need to. That's because you can't reapply for ESA when this happens, unless you get significantly worse or develop a new condition. But, fingers crossed, your good reason will be accepted & hopefully the rearranged assessment will go ahead.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Annabelle26
    Thank you everyone for your help.  I am not going to pursue the enhanced ESA yet until my benefits are sorted out.  Will you are confused about the appointment. I had already used my appointment change before this appointment.  My original appointment was at the beginning of November for 9am which was completely unsuitable for me as I would have had to get up early to get a bus that I would be sure would get me there on time through the rush hour.  The bus would probably be crowded which would cause anxiety problems so I changed it to one that  was later in the day.  This is the one I was supposed to go to last Tuesday & had to cancel.  I received the non attendance form and send it straight back and am just waiting to see what happens.
    Regarding my PIP I sent off my Mandatory Review letter yesterday so I am just waiting to see what happens there. I am not sure whether it was too long as it was 4 pages.  I did a summary of the main disagreements on the first page & then did a more detailed narrative of various pages on the next 3 pages.   I also finally had an acknowledgement from Capita exactly one week after the complaint was sent.  They are carrying out a thorough investigation and are supposed to write back within 20 working days, which I make is 15th December which in Capita time will probably be January & they will find their employee has done nothing wrong. On the way to the postbox I stumbled & nearly fell in front of a car so I now have a bad ankle.
    My SAD has started & I feel really fed up & miserable.  I have always disliked Christmas because of bad memories so going round shops this time of year is always irritating but now it seems worse because I feel so low.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.