I complained about assessor — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I complained about assessor

Tess50
Tess50 Community member Posts: 21 Listener
I have to undergo a new assessment as i made a complaint about my assessment, i am now so stressed out and worried, i did not ask for this 

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @Tess50 I complained about my assessor but didn't have to have another assessment. Maybe it depends what you're complaining about. Can you tell us more about what happened? I was offered another one but refused and my claim went through seperate to my complaint. However wait till you get some expert advice before doing anything. 
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    @Tess50 we also complained about my Husband's assessor( For ESA), he didn't have to have another assesment, and the decision was overturned at MR stage, took about a month to sort out. Get your MP on the case, it helps.
  • Tess50
    I complained about the assessor as she had blatantly lied on some points, i was awarded enhanced rate care but 0 for mobility which i felt was wrong, im about to ring and ask why i need a new assessment as i was going to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, i have mental health issues along with several medical problems and i am classed as actively suicidal but this is stressing me out so badly i dnt know what to do
  • wildlife
    @Tess50 Yes ring and complain about having to have another assessment and let us know what they say. This should not be happening unless you want another assessment. It should be your choice not theirs.
  • Tess50
    I rang up DWP and got told the phone call wasnt from them it was direct from Atos/capita. I dbt know what to do now, the woman on the phone advised me to let them come... so so stressed out with it all 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tess50

Of course the assessment company want to do a second assessment as their poor first assessment will count against them at mandatory reconsideration (MR) stage.  I suggest that you follow @wildlife's advice, refuse a second assessment and ask DWP for an MR.
  • wildlife
    @Tess50 just to say to help you decide that you are within your rights to cancel one assessment anyway even if it wasn't a second one being offered because the first one was so bad. 
  • ShaunAshford
    ShaunAshford Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited December 2017
    I've recently been for an ESA assesseent as I only get my national insurance stamp paid and nothing else from them.
    The outcome was that I'm fit for work,even though in January I had 3 discs removed, bone grafts to the vertebrae,all held in with a titanium plate and screws,also I've recently had surgery to both hands for carpal tunnel syndrome.
    I'm in constant immense pain.
    The assessor spoke rudely and was abrupt with my partner who was offering paperwork and helping me attend the assesseent,to which I got angry to such a point that he threatened to end the assesseent.
    He has lied on so many points,I'm infuriated with the decision that I'm being told to go onto job seeker's!
    Since then,I've been told by Capita & DWP at the PIP department I must have yet another assessment with them,even  I have written proof that I'll get PIP until July 2020 and it would possibly be reviewed after July 2019!
    I'm so mad,it's wound me up so much!
    Where do I stand,as I've said I cannot get to the assessment alone and my partner cannot have any more time off work,as she's had so much off in the last 2 years attending hospital with me up to 7 times per month.All  i get from them is that if  don't attend,then my payments for PIP will be stopped!
    I spoke to a case manager who gave me exactly the same answers,,,,,nothing but threats of losing my PIP payments!
    So disillusioned and I've been wrongly advised by people at the PIP department in the past,I'm really getting depressed over all if this!
    I could swear and swear and bang my head against a brick wall!
    Sorry for my rant folks.

Regards,Shaun.

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @ShaunAshford

You can appeal the ESA decision.
  • ShaunAshford
    edited December 2017
    Yes,@Matilda,I've highlighted in red pen,all of his blatant lies,and I'm sending it back to them.
    My partner said his decision would go against me when I stopped him talking to her like a piece of dirt.
    If someone had spoken to her the way he did,in let's say a pub or shop,then I'd not like to say what I'd have done.
    He was so unprofessional,in many ways,and he lied so much in his report,and I feel I was cohersed into what answers I gave him in many parts of the assessment.
  • Tess50
    Well i have emailed and told them i do not want a second assessment and that im asking for a mandatory reconsideration and i also pointed out that DWP had no idea that they had contacted me 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Shaun and welcome

Esa and PIP are separate departments ( in theory ) so your ESA assessment should have no impact on your PIP award

When did your PIP award begin ?
    It may have been flagged up that you had surgery in january and that a change of circumstance might be in order. Although review dates are recommended the DWP can review a claim at any time if they have reason to suspect a change has occured

Although assessors blatent mistruths rightly upset people, arguing them will not score the points you need for an award. Your job at MR and, if needed, appeal is to show that you meet the criteria for an award

You might find that your Local MP can assist you in this matter, some will others less so.

A specific, supportive GP's letter should  also go a long way in your claim

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ShaunAshford
    Thanks for that @CockneyRebel.
    Yes,I understand they're 2 different things,it's just that they've come so close together.
    It was only 4 months ago that I got confirmation that I'd been awhrded PIPs.
    I think,that I'll approach my GP,who is very supportive,and get in touch with my local MP too.
    The more who give me backing,the better.
     Many thanks.
  • Tess50
    @wildlife when i received the report i shown it to my GP and he was astounded at thd assessors comment about being on some pain meds, im on 80mgs of morphine daily, 3600 mgs gabapentin and i also have oramorph as background pain relief, she mentioned my mental health state was unremarkable and that i was fine throughout.... im on 3 different anti depressants and on highest dose of each and during the assessment i broke down twice, there are other things she lied about as well i know im not entitled to the enhanced rate of mobility, but i have BPPV, and have had quite a few accidents resulting in broken bones and one time fell down the stairs due to bppv and landed on the stunt peg of my sons bike, according to nurse who treated me i was millimetres away from severing my femoral artery, plus the the whole top of my leg was pure black bruise x
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    I've recently been for an ESA assesseent as I only get my national insurance stamp paid and nothing else from them.
    The outcome was that I'm fit for work,even though in January I had 3 discs removed, bone grafts to the vertebrae,all held in with a titanium plate and screws,also I've recently had surgery to both hands for carpal tunnel syndrome.
    The assessor spoke rudely and was abrupt with my partner who was offering paperwork and helping me attend the assesseent,to which I got angry to such a point that he threatened to end the assesseent.
    He has lied on so many points,I'm infuriated with the decision that I'm being told to go onto job seeker's!
    Since then,I've been told by Capita & DWP at the PIP department I must have yet another assessment with them,even  I have written proof that I'll get PIP until July 2020 and it would possibly be reviewed after July 2019!
    Where do I stand,as I've said I cannot get to the assessment alone and my partner cannot have any more time off work,as she's had so much off in the last 2 years attending hospital with me up to 7 times per month.All  i get from them is that if  don't attend,then my payments for PIP will be stopped!
    I spoke to a case manager who gave me exactly the same answers,,,,,nothing but threats of losing my PIP payments!
    So disillusioned and I've been wrongly advised by people at the PIP department in the past,I'm really getting depressed over all if this!
    Sorry for my rant folks.

Regards,Shaun.

Hi Shaun just been reading your story, yet another one of an unfair gross decision. Im a bit confused hear, are you saying although you got PIP  the  ESA assessment in spite of all your suffering and surgery have decided your fit for JSA?  No wonder you feel like swearing and banging your head against a brick wall..
    Sue 
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    sue66 said:
    Sorry for my rant folks.

Regards,Shaun.

Hi Shaun just been reading your story, yet another one of an unfair gross decision. Im a bit confused hear, are you saying although you got PIP  the  ESA assessment in spite of all your suffering and surgery have decided your fit for JSA?  No wonder you feel like swearing and banging your head against a brick wall..
    Sue 

• ShaunAshford
    edited December 2017
    Yes,@sue66.That's correct,and the ESA assessment was 2 weeks after I'd had surgery to my other hand.
    I talked my surgeon into doing the operations only 2weeks apart,1st my left hand as it was the worst and the the left.Usally,its 6weeks apart(minimum).That was at the end of September.
    I had a 3 level ADCF(anterior discectomy,and cervical fusion) on January 20th of this year.
    I was told I'd not.feel the benefits the ADCF for at least 18months,if any at benefits at all.
    And the carpal tunnel syndrome operations would take at least 6 months to heal.
    The surgeon said he couldn't guarantee any improvement in my hands due to the length of time the nerves in my hands had been compressed,comparing them with watering a wiltered flower,,,,only SOME of the flower picks up,,,not all if it.
    Yet,the "medical professional" at the assessment says I'm fit for work.....what a joke.

Regards,Shaun.
  • wildlife
    @Tess50 Don't feel you've been forgotten with the other people posting. It gets a bit confusing and would be less so if they started a new discussion of their own. However there are so many who are being subjected to the lies of assessors that I really hope the government take notice this time in their investigation of PIP and how it's working as this shouldn't be happening. It doesn't just affect the current claim but any ongoing reviews will have lies as a basis for continuing on PIP as conditions worsen meaning much more of a battle to convince DWP of the ongoing need for more help with every day tasks. Let us know how you get on with your MR @Tess50
  • Tess50
    @wildlife thank you so much for the advice, im ringing DWP first thing in the morning to ask for the MR xx i just cannot go through another assessment. X
  • wildlife
    @Tess50 I would check also that they've got your message about the assessment that you wish to cancel. I sent ATOS emails that were never replied to and appeared to have been ignored, but that was during my complaint. I would still check otherwise they'll say you didn't turn up. x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.