benefit entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

benefit entitlement

Options
Billjones
Billjones Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi  ive recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer  and having to leave my job wot benefits am I entitled too

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Bill and welcome

I am so sorry that you are in this position

In the first instance, put your details into an onlinr benefit calculator

There may be two benefits available ESA and PIP

try he B&W self tests

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php

there is lots of info on this site, please have a look round and come back with questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Billjones,

It's a big question! Assuming you are under state pension age, you may get employment and support allowance (ESA) based on your national insurance contributions.

You could also be entitled to personal independence payment (PIP) but that will depend on your diagnosis and how your condition and the treatment affects you.

As regards other benefits it would depend on lots of other factors such as whether you have savings, a partner who works and many other things. So it is worth completing the calculator as CR suggests.

As a starting point though applying for contributory ESA and for PIP may make sense. Complete the calculator first, and as CR says, do come back with any questions. I would avoid claiming universal credit (partly because you may not need to, partly because it is a problematic benefit & there may be better options) until you have done more research and if necessary, got some more specific advice.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.