Will I need a reassessment for ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I need a reassessment for ESA?

ollieandduke
ollieandduke Community member Posts: 174 Courageous
I went on esa in 2016 and was told i would remain there till 2019. I have severe lower back pain and cant walk more than 5meteres without pain stopping me im in the support group with all thats going on will i be eligable for a reassesment or will i just have to wait and see whats happening

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ollieandduke and welcome

As things stand at the moment ESA can be reviewed at any time.

Since the autumn, some people in the SG that meet certain criteria will only have to have one more assessment after which they will be advised whether or not another review will be needed

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ollieandduke
    Thanks for the reply x the way ive heard it is that if you meet certain criteria you wont need another assesment if your already in the sg maybe i misread it.
    I have a crumbling spine and wondered if i fell in that criteria. Also wondered when you might be notified i live in wolverhampton just outside birmingham.
  • CockneyRebel
    You can only be notified that no further assessment is needed following an assessment and  that will be part of the new decision

The criterai from Disability rights

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Severeconditionsguidance.pdf

CR

• ollieandduke
  • SOB
    SOB Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hello,
    I am coming close to the end of my 3 years of ESA payments, because I will have to assessed all over again! I am in a constant worried state, I have not received any notification as yet. Will it be the same as 3 years ago or worse, also if I lose my ESA. What will happen to my PIP, which I didn't bother to claim till a year later. That was due to me thinking that the DWP would stop my ESA, if I failed the assessment for PIP.

God how I hate the system!

• ollieandduke
    My brother has just been put into the support group.  He had an assesment and they said he didnt qualify for esa so they put him on jsa. So my daughter appealed for him and he was put in the support group He had a letter telling him it was from the 2nd of nov this yr. But hasnt had any money increase or back dated money.
    He is a single 59yr old man will his money go up or stay the same he gets 114 per fortnight which is what he would get on jsa
  • CockneyRebel
    @ SOB

PIP has nothing to do with ESA they are separate benefits although PIP can have other benefits added.

ESA is not a time limited award, three years is just an indication and many reassessments are being defered. If you are worried. you can ring the DWP and ask when your assessment will be. This will not trigger an assessment but should give you peace of mind

CR 
  • CockneyRebel
    @ ollieandduke

Was this a tribunal decision ?
    If so then the DWP often take 5-8 weeks to put the decision into payment
    Has he been awarded CB or IR ESA ?

See the link for ESA payments

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get

From this you should see that SG is £109.65 a week if you’re in the support group

Does he claim PIP also ?

CR

• ollieandduke
    Contribution based and no he asnt applied for pip yet it was a manditory reconsideration
  • CockneyRebel
    Theer should be details on the decision letter of what the rate is and when the payment cycle begins.
    If not then you need to phone the DWP for an explaination

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.