PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion

garynp11
garynp11 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi all
can someone answer this question
ince an assessment has been carried out and the DWP decision maker has made their decision and scored you. Do you

A.  Get to see the Health practitioners report
and

B. Do we get to see how the decision makers has scored you from the claim and everything else

gary. Thank all

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2017
    You can ask the DWP for a copy of the assessor's report at any stage - you don't have to wait until the DWP have made a decision.  I phoned DWP the day after my assessment and received the report about 10 days later, with the DWP decision maker's letter arriving a few days after that.

My DWP decision maker did not go into detail about how they had scored the points awarded me - they were somewhat vague and picked out quotes from the assessor's report, many of which were half-truths or downright lies.  Because of the discrepancies in both the assessor's report and the DWP's decision letter, I have a lot of scope for appeal.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    garynp,when i got the letter saying i got pip, the letter showed all my scores
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    My letter showed all the scores but no detailed explanation of how each of these had been arrived at.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi garynp11

Matilda is right in saying you can request a copy of the assessment report at any stage. Following an assessment the DWP will send you a decision and this will inform you how many points you have scored and it will usually provide a basic summary of how they arrived at the decision; some are more detailed than others.

If you disagree with the decision and decide to request a mandatory reconsideration which is when you ask the DWP to look again at the decision it is a good idea to request all of the information they have used in making the decision. The DWP should then send you a full copy of the assessment report and any other evidence they have used although sometimes you might have to remind them!

Have you had a decision yet? Please post back on here if you have any further questions about this and we will do our best to advise you.

Best wishes

Paul
    The Benefits Training Co:

• garynp11
    Thank you all for your replies. Most helpful and much appreciated 
  • garynp11
    Thank you Paul only just had assessment. Thank you for you help. Much appreciated 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Hi, I would suggest you stay one step ahead by asking for the assessor's report now by ringing the DWP number on any of your letters from them. Then when you get the decision you can see how they relate to each other. My decision was word for word almost the same as the suggested descriptor scores and reasons given by the assessor. If you're happy with both, then no problem. But if you disagree you'll be able to go back to DWP with more understanding of what has gone wrong. Hope that helps.  
  • jackof
    jackof Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi.  I am new to this forum. I would just like to say hello to everyone one and hope to be able to help and receive support from you
  • kevin888
    kevin888 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    My Mandatory Reconsideration was exactly the same as assessorsF2F. In the DWP guidelines for PIP assessments it states the Decision Maker may have NO medical qualifications!.............
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi kevin888,

The decision maker is the DWP processing officer who will almost certainly have no medical qualifications. They generally adopt the view of the healthcare professional who conducted the face to face assessment and replicate their recommendations for the scoring of each descriptor.

Lee 

• gerrys6
    gerrys6 Community member Posts: 171 Courageous
    Does a dwp decision maker do the scoring for both pip and Esa assessments and make the decisions ? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The decision is always made by the DWP. The DM is not medically trained so they rely heavily on the HCP report

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    gerrys6,

As CR says, the DM generally (almost always) follows the HCP recommendations in their report. That is one of the big problems, as it means that often your own evidence doesn't get given much importance at the DWP decision making stage. 

Just reminding everyone on this thread about the Parliamentary inquiry into PIP and ESA assessments - do give your view as we need MPs to understand how things work (or don't work!)

Will

• alisha22
    alisha22 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
    Hi I'm a new member and wanted some advice. I had a f2f assessment with capita,  lovely lady till I asked for a copy of my report from the dwp. I scored 6 points overall and 90% was lies. I'm wondering willl the dwp go by her report or make their own decisions.
  • CockneyRebel
    Hello alisha and welcome

You do have a small window of opportunity to request a call back from the DM to discuss your concerns with the report.
    It is unusual for the DM not to agree with the HCP but you have nothing to lose by trying

CR
  • alisha22
    Thank you so much I will give it a try. Don't want things to go even worse but I can't believe the lies some of the report contradicts the assessor so I will keep the report safe if and when I may need to use it. Also do you think they would give me back my medical evevidence forms back.
  • CockneyRebel
    You should only ever send copies of evidence but you can ask. I think you need to submit a subject access request but not certain.

If you don't get the award you deserve and end up having to appeal then as part of the their case they will have to supply you with all the evidence used including your own

CR
  • alisha22
    I struggle to see my gp although she is lovely and writes support letters. I see my physio also but not sure if they would do a support letter for benefits. At the moment I just got the dreaded brown envelope which had the report, I'm still waiting for final decision from dwp also dreading that. I don't think dwp would award me unless a miracle happens, I'm sure they will go along with blaten lies from the health so called professional.
  • alisha22
    Hello cockney rebel, also as  I have trouble walking as well as severe bladder and bowel problems, would I still have to attend the tribunal as I don't have anyone to go on my behalf and worried it  may go against me which is not helping both my mental and physical health.
  • CockneyRebel
    Going to tribunal is a long way off yet. First try talking to the DM. Then when you have your decision letter you will need to ask for a reconsideration, only then can you go to tribunal. There is lots of info on this site about the process, so have a read and come back with your questions

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.