The DWP doesnt recognise my illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The DWP doesnt recognise my illness

shaggy69
shaggy69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
What to do if the d w p do not recognise my illness for which there is no cure 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi shaggy and welcome

Can you tell us a bit more about you and your illness ?
    There are many hidden illnesses which can be hard to quantify
    Do you have a diagnosis and a supportive GP ?

there is lots of info on this site so please have a look round and come back with your questions

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shaggy69
    Welcome to the community, as @CockneyRebel says, can you give us a bit more information about your diagnosis and what the DWP have said and we can see if we can help :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shaggy69, how are you getting on?
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shaggy69

Welcome to our online community/family.

Please please let me how you are getting on????

I think that I’m going to be in the same boat (ship) my friend.

Let’s just say that they won’t be able to spell it in the first place.

Please please let me know if I can help you further ?????

Thanks.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there, the benefits processes are a bit tricky if you have a difficult or no diagnosis. But the questions are more about how your life is.

I asked my doctor what to write I'm the 'what condition do you have?' bit. 

But then it asks things like 'can you manage to cook a meal?' or 'can you walk 5 bus lengths' or something like that. Which you will know the answers to better than 'what is your illness' if that makes sense. 

But mostly @shaggy69 you ARE entitled to help and benefits so do feel confident in claiming. Ypu are a valued part of out society so society will help you out ☺ 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You're not the only one.

And that is what happens when you have a rare, misunderstood, midden disability.
  • Alison68
    Alison68 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Totally agree,the Health Professional who assessed me said she had to look up PBC Primary Biliary cholangitis,it’s your immune system attacking your liver and destroying cells.
    The doctor at my PIP appeal didn’t give me chance to explain how it was for me Day to day.
    I don’t think she would have ever seen anyone with PBC AIH or AIHA all Autoimmune.
    It was a dreadful experience of not been listen too or heard and shot down.
  • stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
        Most of us who have been to appeal have been ignored or spoken too in a manner that was upsetting,at our appeal a man from the dwp was in the waiting room pretending to read a newspaper ,I was astounded when he turned up in court .......it totally unfair that any truly disabled person is treated this way ,something like 60% of all appeals are given in the claimants favour which mean the dwp only get it right in 40  out of 100 cases ....

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.