Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Carers allowance waiting time

margaret88margaret88 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2017 in Carer's allowance
Hi bit stuck on what to do. I applied online for carers allowance at the end of august as my son has autism and is on medium rate dla. We got told back then it would take carers allowance 4-6 weeks to come through. 6 weeks passed and nothing so I phoned again and they said it would be 8 weeks due to a back log. Now 8 weeks have passed and I phoned them tosay to be told it might be the end of November. I'm not happy and have no other form of income and don't know how I'm going to pay my phone bill at the end of the month. Am I right to phone again and speak to a manager because I get no where with the advisor when I phone.

Replies

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi margaret88,

I would normally expect a CA claim to be decided upon within 4 weeks as they are quite simple claims in most cases. The delay seems unreasonable to me so you should definitely call the CA unit, don't accept being fobbed off, and ask to speak to a manager. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • margaret88margaret88 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Lee I just phoned again and was told they have 45000 claims to sort out and they treat everyone fairly going to phone again to speak to a manager as I feel I'm getting no where.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    How stressful for you @margaret88 I hope you get through to the manager!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
    I asked to speak to a manager and he said there's none on this floor at the moment but I'll get them to phone you back. Wonder how long I'll be waiting.
    Hi everyone I finally got a phone call back and they said they will deal with my claim the now as I've had no income for over a year and because the call handling centre should have gave me better info on what was happening. X
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi @margaret88

Two things to consider:-

Firstly, maybe making a complaint to the DWP might chivvy them along - I would do this by letter to the relevant benefit office https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure#how-to-complain

Secondly, you state that you have no other income - if there is no other income in your household, and savings less than £16k, then you may be eligible to claim Income Support as a Carer, Carer's Allowance does not need to be in payment for this.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • keeleykeeley Member Posts: 1 Listener
    margaret88 
    hi ive been waiting 11 weeks now and it December keep ringing every Monday because more you ring more they moan and then they will give up  that what am doing at the min hope this help keep ringing x 

• TomWilsonTomWilson Member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 19
    Hello @margaret88

I understand your listing is from 2017 and I’m not sure if your still a member of this but if possible can you let me know how you finally got on with your claim for carer’s allowance? I applied over 8 weeks ago now and have heard nothing. I was looking on Google for the best department to write to and came across your post. 

Thanks for any advice in advance. 

Tom. 
  • dawny63dawny63 Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Hi I waited for 13 weeks.  Got backdated  payment  today.  Rang them 3 times for update. 
Sign in or join us to comment.