Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Carers allowance & Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

spire2003spire2003 Member Posts: 25 Connected
My wife currently gets LRC on DLA but has had assessment for PIP. If she gets at least Standard Rate PIP i shoud be able to claim Carers Allowance. I have cared for her since her stroke 8 years ago. I get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. Can you advise if IIDB will affect the PIP or Carers Allowance ?

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi spire

IIDB should not afect either of these. PIP is non means tested and carers should be paid as long as you meet all the crireia

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    spire2003,

You can get carer's allowance and IIDB, that is fine. IIDB doesn't affect PIP either. If you get contributory ESA though, this 'overlaps' with carer's allowance - you can't get both and would get whichever is higher.

Your wife may also have some contributory benefit entitlements and as a couple, you may have income-related benefit entitlements. PIP can only ever increase your income-related benefits. Carer's allowance can have a more complicated effect though - it's income for income-related benefits, and claiming it can sometimes reduce them for other reasons (because of something called the severe disability premium - I don't think this applies to you, but it might!).

To be absolutely sure you are claiming the combination of benefits which gives you the best outcome, I'd want to get advice locally (eg from Citizens Advice), or use the benefits calculator.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • spire2003spire2003 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    CR & Will thanks for your advice. I don’t think we can claim any income related benefits. Bad decision of mine was to take two occupational pensions early after my wife’s stroke. I work 15 hours a week & take home £4 more than the limit for carers allowance. I have asked to join stakeholder pension scheme at work to get me under the limit. I need to leave it for a bit longer so my payslips show the figures needed for CA. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi spire2003,

For info, the earnings limit for CA is planned to go up in April 18 to £120 a week. Don't know if that helps. It's net earnings as you probably know, minus half of any contribution made towards the pension scheme. Just thought the April change might be helpful to know about if timing is an issue.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • spire2003spire2003 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    Will. I’d still be over the limit due to minimum wage increase but thanks anyway.
Sign in or join us to comment.