Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance & tax

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16 Connected
edited December 2017 in Carer's allowance
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Replies

• Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Libby44

The gov website says:

When you claim Carer’s Allowance your other benefits may be reduced, but your total benefit payments will usually either go up or stay the same.
    Carer’s Allowance doesn’t count towards the benefit cap.
    If you get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, you must contact the Tax Credits office to tell them about Carer’s Allowance claim.

Hope this helps

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16 Connected
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi @Libby44

I take it you're talking about Tax here not Tax Credits?

If so, then if your only income is Carer's Allowance you would not have to submit a Tax return, as you would be well within your personal allowance of £11k - do make sure you have no other taxable income lurking though - e.g. rental income, etc.

If it's Tax Credits - then yes, definitely tell them.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Hi Libby44 - there may be lots of reasons why you don't have income other than Carer's Allowance (for instance, you have a working partner), but it's always worth running your circumstances through the benefits calculator on this site: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check
    This would just make sure that you are not missing out on anything. If you were eligible for any means tested benefits, then getting Carer's Allowance can trigger higher amounts of some benefits, such as housing benefit. It's also worth seeing if you might be able to get some help towards your council tax. The benefits calculator will help you with that too.

Kind regards,

Jayne
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    edited December 2017
  • crempogcrempog Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I recieve carers allowance for looking aftrr my mother, i have no other income as my work of 10 hrs a week ended.due to joint problems in my hands. 
    Im not claiming any other unemployment benifits.
    Now im looking after my mother 87yrs  24/7 am i entiteled to a higher rate.
    Crempog
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi crempog and welcome

First try putting your details into the on line benefit calculator

next you may be entitled to PIP if you have functional difficulties
    Try taking the B&W self test to see if you may qualify

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Thereis lots of info about benefits on this site so please have a look round and come back with any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    crempog,

I'd start by doing as CR suggests and use the online calculator to check your benefit entitlement. 

You aren't entitled to a higher rate of carer's allowance itself but you may be entitled to other benefits paid on top of carer's allowance. As CR suggests, you may yourself be entitled to PIP (personal independence payment). In any case, depending on your circumstances, I would want to check whether you can claim any additional income-related benefits. 

Because these depend on where you are in the country (the benefit you could claim on top of carer's allowance might be universal credit, or it might be income support, depending on where you are) I would use the calculator first. That allows you to enter your postcode so you can see which benefit applies quickly. In some areas it has to be universal credit, but in others, that won't apply to you yet. Another example is that if you pay rent, you may be entitled to some housing benefit, but if you have to claim universal credit, help with your rent will be included in that instead.

If you are liable to pay council tax, I'd also check whether you are entitled to any council tax reduction (sometimes called council tax support). That isn't being replaced by universal credit but it does vary in different local authority areas. Again the calculator can help you get started in researching these things.

Will
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    PS crempog I should add that if you live in Scotland, they are due to start paying extra to people who get carer's allowance. However, that money won't start to be paid until summer 2018. More information about that should be available soon, but if you do live in Scotland, let us know and we can suggest some sources of further information.

Will
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • suerankin19suerankin19 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi does the extra benefit for the carers allowance count in wales the same as Scotland please
    edited January 2018
    Hi suerankin19,

No, this is only happening in Scotland. More information can be found here:

//www.vocal.org.uk/carer-support/managing-money/benefits-and-entitlements/carers-allowance/

There is an article I have found here about the help that the Welsh government is going to provide for Carers in Wales:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-42097151

Lee
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.