Hearing Aids — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing Aids

Jazzguitar
Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
/I am a musician. Hearing loss in left wear. Are the hearing aids that Lidl sell any use? Neville Pearson Whitleigh Plymouth Devon

Comments

• VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi @Jazzguitar

The types of hearing aids that can be bought by mail order or in supermarkets are very simple devices that simply amplify all sounds around the wearer. They may be suitable for people with very straightforward hearing losses or who have very limited needs from a hearing aid. 

In the UK the NHS provides really good quality hearing aids free of charge. Your hearing is assessed by a qualified audiologist who will make recommendations on the best device, programme them to match your hearing loss, advice on wearing and getting used to them, and how to make the best of your hearing afterwards, and refer you on to other NHS services when needed (such as to an ENT doctor). So for my money I would always recommend an NHS referral before anyone considers spending money elsewhere. 

Vicki

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The NHS service is very good/ You will need a referral from your GP. The hearingh aids are good quality, mine would retail at over £1000 but supplied free of charge and even replacement batterys are free

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Jazzguitar
    edited January 2018
    Thank you I will email my GP at The Budshead Road Medical Practice in Whitleigh Neville Pearson
  • Jazzguitar
    edited January 2018
    Thank you I bought a hearing Aid from Lidl.for £9.99 I will email my GP Suregery with your reply. Neville Pearson email 

Brightness