Overwhelmed by the thought of xmas holidays with two autistic children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Overwhelmed by the thought of xmas holidays with two autistic children

Crankiethecrane
Crankiethecrane Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have two autistic children. Two weeks of Xmas holidays ahead. Totally overwhelmed.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crankiethecrane, and welcome to the community! I hope you manage to enjoy your holidays. You may like to check out our ASD category to find people in similar situations.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Crankiethecrane and welcome. I worked for about ten years as a Learning Support Assistant with ASD children in my local high school and can understand your feeling overwhelmed, especially at this time of year.
    As well as the ASD category here, which I am too new to be familiar with, you might find it useful (assuming you have not yet done so) to join the community at http://www.autism.org.uk/my-account-summary/my-community-profile.aspx (The National Autistic Society site).

A large part of my work in school was the development of computer-based learning resources for ASD students, using their own particular individual interests (Dr Who, Thomas the Tank Engine and Lord of the Rings were examples). If having some computer based activities might be of use to you, let me know. I can't make any promises, but I will try to help if I can.
  • Crankiethecrane
    Crankiethecrane Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @RichardVR thanks for your message. Some computer-based learning resources would be excellent. My son is 6 and currently in mainstream. They don't have much idea of how to help him access the curriculum...he is currently obsessed with Bing on CBeebies. Other interests include Firemen Sam and Charlie and Lola. Thanks again! 
  • Modesire
    Modesire Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My name is Omodesire.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crankiethecrane
    I don't have anything on the characters you mention, so I will have to try to create something. It may take a little while, but I will try.
    Do you have access to PowerPoint? And what would you like your son to learn about?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crankiethecrane

I think there are a lot of parents in a similar situation, We have some christmas tips for parents of disabled children here that you might like to read.

I think we often get drawn into doing things a certain way, but actually christmas is about family, and all families are different so I would say try and do things that work for you and your kids.

You know your kids best so I would say to try and do things that suit you all, I have read some advice about how some children with ASD struggle with the unknown and so they label their christmas presents with what is inside.

I also read about how some people create a safe space, a quiet space away from the excitement where children or adults with ASD can take themselves to if things get too much.

Best wishes to you all, and know the community is here all through christmas so do come and chat if you need to.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Crankiethecrane

How was your christmas?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness