Do you feel safe on the bus? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you feel safe on the bus?

MrsFlipper
MrsFlipper Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I've conducting some research on the experience of wheelchair/scooter users using the bus. This is primarily aimed at finding out how safe people feel. The survey takes about 3 minutes to complete and your feedback will be very helpful. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZM52WXC 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MrsFlipper
    MrsFlipper Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Danny that is just the kind of information I’m looking for to try to convince bus operators that a non slip floor is just not enough to hold wheelchairs in place. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not a wheelchair user, but in London the wheelchair areas I have seen are designed so the back of the wheelchair goes against a solid partition so if the bus does break hard this should not happen.

That said most wheelchair users do not seem to set up their chair in the correct way. I am not saying that it is the wheelchair users fault. They have to get on moving forward, turn in a tight circle and back into the correct position. Even when people are happy to move out of the way of the designated area I would not like to try that monoeuvre when there are adults, kids bags and/or other obstacles in the way.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    I've only been in a wheelchair for just over a year now.
    And there is no way I would ever get on a bus.
    People moan all the time about having to move, who has priority a pram or a person in a wheelchair. 
    When the bus is full it's hard for anyone to get of a bus, but if your in a wheelchair it's even harder. it means everyone has to get off so you can. 
    I would struggle getting on a bus on my own in my wheelchair.
    Some People can be really nasty, refusing to move because they have bags of shopping. 
    And for me It costs the same to get a taxi.

• Friendship
    Friendship Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I am not a wheelchair user yet, but have severe walking difficulties and use a rollator, support with wheels and a seat, I have used buses to get around on occasions and it is difficult using buses for any type of travel, most of the people are ignorant of the difficulties that disabled people face and many don’t care including some of the bus drivers that’s why I would rather take a taxi as well and I find most of them helpful, but on occasions some of the driver’s are ignorant as well all the best

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.