Esa moving in with partner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa moving in with partner

Options
kezza
kezza Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi my son has moved in with his girlfriend a rented social housing. She works 16 hours and is just above minimum wage. She gets working tax credit and child tax credit theY also receive HB. My son though had had his ESA cut  to £65 a week £20 of this is taken in off him for a budgeting loan he got when he moved in the house leaving him with £45.
I am curios to know why it was cut in the first place from 125 he is also in receipt of middle rate care component of DLA Please can anyone help me understand this. Then I maybe able to explain to my son in a way he can understand. It is causing so much heartache in their new home as he never has any money to make a contribution to the running of the house he is even thinkin about coming home. Thank you I'm advance 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kezza
    You can get in touch with the ESA folk here to find out more about this situation.

Call the government’s ESA contact number on 0800 055 6688.

Visit the official government webpage for Employment and Support Allowance

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • kezza
    kezza Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Sam will do 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi kezza, 

The number for existing claims for ESA is 0800 169 0310 - the above number given is only to make a new claim. If you phone them your son will need to be present due to data protection. 
    The general rules are: if your son is receiving ESA contribution-based and he is in the support group then there shouldn't have been any effect on his benefit. If he is receiving ESA IR (income-related) then any income from employment and Working Tax Credit will, unfortunately, come off his entitlement minus appropriate disregards. 
    The best way of finding out is to call ESA and ask them to explain it, as I say, it depends on what type of ESA he is receiving.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.