A View Worth the journey? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A View Worth the journey?

AndyGT
AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
edited January 2018 in Coffee lounge
Hello

I have always liked the British  countryside. There are many places that are with going and some are unbelievable.  A lot of them have car parks near by so are accessible.  Whilst others are so easy.  Whilst I accept that it is not always possible to.make them accessible there must be places out there than we can get to. Even if it takes a little work. I especially like the West Country and the Lake District. I have been fortunate in the past (before my mobility became more problematical) to visit Watersmeet  (Lynton/Lynmouth, Devon) which is one of my most favourite places in the world. But
 what else us out there??? Some of the lesser known places? I don't mean by the side of lake Conniston or similar because I we are all aware of them. What about somewhere else? Places that are worth the effort and worth a photograph....

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hello @AndyGT,

I haven't been able to come up with any personal suggestions, but I have found a website that has photos and accessibility ratings for different countryside destinations around Britain and other countries. Some of the views look lovely!

http://www.phototrails.org/default.cfm?page=home

Hopefully this could could help you find a new place to go that looks great, and suits your needs. Let me know what you think!
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @AndyGt

Accessible Countryside for Everyone is a website that highlights accessibility to the countryside and green spaces, for leisure, recreation and sport. It lists wheelchair walks, buggy walks, easy walks, support organisations, disability sport information, campsites with disabled facilities.

Read more leisure tips
  • AndyGT
    Thanks for these they both seem great sites.   It does anyone have any personal recommendations? Somewhere I would highly recommend is the view at County Gate between Devon and Somerset.  It looks across  Exmoor (Doon Valley) I think. Any ideas? Especially if they are maybe the less well known places?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Hello @AndyGT Pleased to meet you Only places I know with great views is Northumberland.  Large county spectacular sea shore and sea scape.  Great and fantastic landscapes.  One to go to for holiday.  Also not many people in certain parts.  Then there is Durham County has published  marvellous little handbook gives walks and talks.  Worth having a look on the website.  If coming here for a holiday.  Nice to talk to you hope any of this helps.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • AndyGT
    I have been to Northerumberland before and I know what you mean about the coast.  It is awesome.  I liked Banburgh and Alnwick castles. Also liked Holy Island. All are weĺl worth a visit. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello 'AndyGT Yes great places to visit.  Go up to Border Country see no body hardly a soul.  Then the views around Hadrian Wall stunning.  Imagine the culture shock you are Roman Centurian arriving on the bleak Northumberland Hills and Moors.  Hope you OK Take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • AndyGT
    Pity the poor centurian from the warm waters, sun and wine of the Med. to Hadrians Wall.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @AndyGT Yes I wonder how they coped.  Been to many of the museums along the wall and great for anybody interested in Roman History.   Lots of fascinating stuff.
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness