They say Three years BUT on the letter it is less than TWO — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

They say Three years BUT on the letter it is less than TWO

Options
foxuk
foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
I just got my PIP award and it states clearly it is for three years, BUT immediately afterwards it says that it will be reviewed in the second year. 22 months -  2 years after the assessment was made. NOT the date the award was made let alone when payment starts. Even more smoke and mirrors from HMG?

I was lucky and my award was increased (for which I am grateful) BUT unlike DLA claims the award is not back dated to the claim date. To add insult to injury the increased amount will only be paid from a date a full month after the decision was made. Due to delays that the DWP have decided were the fault of Capita my original claim was made in September BUT the increased amount will only be paid from February

I honestly think that the voters elected a back street used car sales firm to run the country.

I don't have the energy to try to fight this as it could result in loss of what I have been awarded. The whole system stinks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Reviews are always 1 year before the award ends.

Were you transfering from DLA to PIP? It sounds like you were as you state that your award doesn't start for 1 month afteer the decision. If i'm correct then there's no backpay for those transfering. The reason your award doesn't start till then is because your DLA continues for 4 weeks after.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    This is the very subject me and my hubby were discussing only yesterday. If you have awards for 3 years  like he has then you should get paid the amounts for a full 3 years, ok i get it , it takes time to fill in another form,send it back then wait for outcome and another assessment date, If this should happen within a few weeks and still a few months left before the 3 yrs is up you should get paid till the date until the 3 full years is up in my opinion..
  • foxuk
    Options
    Reviews are always 1 year before the award ends.

Were you transfering from DLA to PIP? It sounds like you were as you state that your award doesn't start for 1 month afteer the decision. If i'm correct then there's no backpay for those transfering. The reason your award doesn't start till then is because your DLA continues for 4 weeks after.
    If you read the post you will see that I refer clearly to an increase in benefit.
    Yes my DLA does continue BUT at the lower rate. 

IF I had made a re-claim of DLA when it existed the increase would have run from the date of the request for the form.

I hope that makes things clearer for you. I was not commenting of whether the process was the same for everyone but making the comment that the process had changed. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The other side to this is had you lost your award would you expect to have to repay the DLA money from the date of your claim ?
    Had you lt your DLA lapse and then made a claim for PIP the following day then you would have been been paid back pay to the date of your claim

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • foxuk
    Options
    Had you let your DLA lapse and then made a claim for PIP the following day then you would have been been paid back pay to the date of your claim

CR
    I hadn't even thought of that. 

That is IF they pay PIP backdated to the day of the claim. They may have changed that as well.... who knows?

What got me was the fact that the claim was delayed due to the incompetence of Capita. Their first assessor failed to find either of the two working doorbells and insisted they had used an intercom. They insisted that a red light had shown. The intercom had never been connected to a power supply and the button had been taped over with gaffa tape (one of the unfinished projects of my deceased father). DWP found in my favour.....

I am more than pleased to get the full whack but in four months that is £960 plus Income support SDA at £62.50 a week.

Just noticed that if someone gets carer's allowance for someone on SDA 62.50 is stopped for a couple and the Carer gets £32.50 instead. 

When you shake hands with a politician count your fingers afterwards.
  • foxuk
    Options
    The problem with lapsing a claim would be having to manage without any DLA until PIP was awarded. Yes there would be back pay at a higher rate but eating could be a problem.....

From experience I lapsed a DLA claim as I daftly thought I was able to manage without the money. When I claimed again I had a lot more problems than with my original claim. It shouldn't have, but it did seem to make a big difference to the process, including at the eventual tribunal (where I won).
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    when claiming PIP from DLA it is treated as a continuing claim.
    If a new claim is made it is backdated to the claim dated
    Any reviewed award starts at the new decision date

There are two parts to carers Carers Allowance and Carers Premium
    and it depends on other benefits
    If the carer claims ESA then they will have an underlying entitlement to CA but won't receive it
    Carers premium can be paid if there is an IR element to the ESA

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.