Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

Disabled carers .

Misslynch33Misslynch33 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Really confused.  Disabled parent and carer of adult son. Can you get carers allowance? 


  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    As I understand it carers allowance is paid instead of a disability top up for the disabled person. You cannot have both. It would therefore depend on whether your son gets this top up and if so you will not benefit by simply changing who gets it necessarily.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Misslynch33,

    You can claim Carer's Allowance if you look after the disabled person for 35 hours a week or more, are not in full time education and are not earning more than £116 a week from employment.
    However, CA is an overlapping benefit for contribution-based ESA, so you may not get it if you are getting ESA C, but claiming it anyway may help you to get or increase your income-related ESA.
    If your son is claiming an income-related benefit and is receiving a severe disability premium, this premium will be deducted from his benefit if you claim CA, as they are almost the same amount and paid for the same purpose (ie to the carer, or to the disabled person if there isn't a carer).
    I know this may sound quite complicated and I've tried to explain it as easily as I can, but if you have any questions resulting from this please post again.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.