A Student who requests help! Accessible Kitchen Space! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A Student who requests help! Accessible Kitchen Space!

Ryan909
Ryan909 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello my name is Ryan, I'm currently a design student working on a project about accessible kitchen spaces. If possible I would like to know what your disability is? As well as what problems you face within your kitchen space currently?

Comments

• shirleygreen
    shirleygreen Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi  Ryan, I suffer with arthritis (mostly as the result of an accident over 20 years ago). I also have curvature of the spine. I am 5'2" and the main problem for me is storage and accessibility. I cannot reach 80% of the items in the wall cupboards and even less in the lower ones. The oven is a hazard! I cannot lift anything heavy from the oven!  Hope this helps as anything you can fo to help design kitchens and bathrooms which are more disability friendly the better. Hood luck with your project. Shirley 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ryan909 Thank you for researching this and hopefully I can look to the future design a better Kitchen.

I have a genetic disorder of hands and feet plus other eyesight problems, hearing.

I live in a bungalow rent from a housing association.  About five years ago had new kitchen put in.  Which is very small.  I was given the chance to say what I want.  I would have liked someone to help, assist.   My pleas ignored.

Problem is the fitting of every thing you need.  To the extent no room for undercounter freezer.  In Bedroom.  Also have loads of cupboards, drawers many of which are unsuitable.  Some and most have space so small.  No one suggested anything.  Hard to sometimes remember where anything is.

I would liked advice on what to have in Kitchen cooker and new ideas for storage.  Do not use Oven just Hob bit. so that could have been useful.  Under Hob have storage.  Not much room for Washing Machine, Fridge.  Sink area too large could have been shorter.

Have cupboards at one end trying to fit everything in do not get everything in.  Recently want a smart meter so space so limited have problems seeing meter.  For readings etc.  This cupboards really tight and small have problems bending down and have hit my head several times.

On this end unit enough room for Microwave on the top of the unit but cupboards over top.  So have to be careful putting Microwave on, will hit head.

I wish you the best and success.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ryan909
    Ryan909 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited January 2018
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with me hopefully I can produce work that will be beneficial and help with these issues within the kitchen space.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.