I am sole carer to my elderly father - any ideas on support and help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am sole carer to my elderly father - any ideas on support and help?

vonniehay1
vonniehay1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am sole carer to my elderly father, I have joined as I also work full time and find I never stop and am constantly tired and tearful, just looking for people to talk about how I feel and point me in the direction of agencies that can help

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vonniehay1, and welcome! it's great to have you here. It sounds like things are really difficult for you to manage at the moment, and I hope you find comfort in being a part of our community. Have you seen our parents and carers category? It might be a good place to start, but do come back to us with your specific enquiries and we'l do our best to help.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @vonniehay1 and welcome to the community. I've been a struggling sole carer too, in the past, so have some idea of what you may be going through. Feel free to talk and do check out the resources available here.
    My respect and very warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vonniehay1
    Welcome to the community, I share the care of my elderly grandmother and understand how tiring it can be.  Are there any other family members who can offer you support?

There are some great link and support available on the Age UK website that might be helpful.

The Carers UK website be helpful too!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bryher
    Bryher Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    @vonniehay1 if it would help you, and your father, he might enjoy having a Silver Line friend to talk to.  We have a 24 hour a day, 365 days a year helpline but we also offer other services such as a Silver Line Telephone Friend.  This is a volunteer who is matched to your father and who, at an agreed time, calls to have a friendly chat.  We know from Silver Liners - people who use our services - how these calls can become a lifeline and a moral booster. If your father would like to know more suggest he might call us on 0800 4 70 80 90.

I hope this helps.
    Bryher Scudamore
    Older People Advisor
    The Silver Line
    Phone: 0800 4 70 80 90
    Email: info@thesilverline.org.uk
    www.thesilverline.org.uk
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi@vonniehay1

I to was in your position with my father a few years ago and it can be a very lonely time. I was fortunate to come across Crossroads who gave me a hour break on a Saturday. They would come in and just sit and chat with my dad, make him a cup of tea.. I also joined sites like this and found that I could just sit and chat whilst keeping a eye on my dad.. 
    Have you got a community hub where you live. Here in Hertfordshire we have a shop where you just drop in for coffee and a chat on different days. You meet people from all walks of life and you can take your dad with you :)
    Best Wishes
    Sue  

www.crossroadshn.org.uk

Brightness