can you help me please regarding ESA disability premiums? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can you help me please regarding ESA disability premiums?

Lacroix123
Lacroix123 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello everyone  :) can you help me please regarding ESA disability premiums? 

Comments

• Lacroix123
    I was granted PIP in Nov 17 backdated to the date of my claim 1 July 17. High mobility and low care. I was granted it after my first medical assessment without having to appeal or provide any further info. 
    I was turned down for ESA also in Nov following my medical assessment. I applied in April 2017. I have appealed and a tribunal agreed so am back on assessment rate. 
    The problem I have is that I was under the impression that I was on IR ESA from the beginning of my claim because I received a letter from the DWP not long after I claimed stating that I did I qualify for ESA CB as I had not paid enough tax for the year in question. The letter stated that I may still receive benefits and would need to apply. Before I replied to this letter i recieved another one from the DWP stating they they would pay me ESA into my bank account from a certain date. It did not state IR or CB. I assumed it was IB. 
    Once i was awarded PIP I called the DWP and asked for the disability premiums to be added to my ESA and also for it to be backdated to the date of my PIP award. They then told me that i had always been on CB ESA  and was not entitled to the premiums. I explained what had happened and was asked to put it in writing. I this and applied for IR at the same time. I was immediately changed to IR and SDP added to my weekly money. They ignored my letter about thinking I was on IR 
    I again phoned and was more or less told that it was 'tough' and that I should of known I was on CB. I'm not happy about this and am going to write a formal letter of complaint. 
    Does anyone have any advice for me please? 
    Thank you so much 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lacroix123
    and welcome to our community.
    I'm a volunteer, essentially, and not qualified to answer your specific queries, but I can suggest the following link to our Benefits Advisor:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor

I have no doubt others will be along to say 'hi' in due course - I just wanted to try to get something off to you because I know it's late at night now and I didn't want you to be kept waiting. In all probability one of the moderators on the site will move your post to the benefits advisor space.

Confident that you will find the help you need here, I'll say bye for now and wish you well. Keep in touch  :)
    Best to you
    Richard

• Lacroix123
    Thank you so much Richard 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lacroix123
    Take a look at what it says on the government website:

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Lacroix123

You have raised a problem that so many people also get confused and annoyed by. The ESA letters are generally very poor at making it clear if someone receives income related, contributory based or both types of ESA.  

The issue you have raised is not just about clarity of benefit entitlement but can have serious implications, like you found out.  Claimants could be missing out on benefit entitlement as they are unaware of the type of ESA they receive and it's impact on the amount of money they receive or could receive. 

This is an issue that can only really be tackled by contacting an MP and maybe making a complaint. I have put the link below to how to complain about a DWP service:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure 

You will probably get an initial response to your complaint that does not really tackle the issue that you have raised.  It may have to go all the way to the Ombudsman (via your MP) to give the issue a constructive response.

In regard to the premiums, was your SDP backdated to when PIP was awarded? I ask as ESA (and therefore SDP) can be backdated for 3 months which would cover you from when you made your claim in Nov 2017. 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• Lacroix123
    Hi Maria
    Thank you so much for your answer... yes it's really confusing when your told your not entitled to CB ESA and then told week later your getting ESA with no other information. 
    I claimed PIP in July and PIP was backdated to then once I received my award in November.  
    SDP was backdated a few weeks to when I called the DWP to request the premiums only to learn that I was on CB and did not qualify. I think it was backdated to November. 
    Thanks for the link... I'm going to look at that now 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.