Peoples thoughts on mobility cars — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Peoples thoughts on mobility cars

Hi everybody , I'm just curious about why people are rushing out to get their mobility car and having the stress of having to give it up.wouldnt it be less stressful to save your mobility allowance and buy your own car ? All I see on here is people distraught that they have lost their mobility car or are worried they will loose it . I know that some people need their car but wouldnt pip be less stressful  for people if people bought their own ...Or is it because it's brand new and people can change it for another brand new one ?

Comments

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    i think its because its stress free, brakedown, mot insurance, i did it once but now i bought my own from ebay, x mobility car ramp fitted, 19,000 on the clock £3,500 and they brought it 120 miles to my door, that was 2 years ago not a scratch on it, may be i was lucky, but the cash left over is plenty for insurance, and mot  no tax of course, im very glad i did it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    @nanof6 Good for you sensible thing to do 
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:
    @nanof6 Good for you sensible thing to do 
    Actually I thought if you have your own car you get the m.o.t insurance ...so its just the tax then oh right now I see ....but I still think what you did is less stressful.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    I'm at the 3 year stage of having to change my car in the next couple of months and I'll be sorry to see it go but my circumstances have changed and now need adaptions and a larger boot for my mobility scooter. While Motability continues to cover the cost of insurance, tax, maintenance, breakdown cover...in fact everything but fuel, I couldn't afford to buy a good reliable car.  I'm one of the lucky ones and have had no problems changing to PIP although  it was a stressful time waiting to be reassessed.  Besides that, yes I'm looking forward to showing off my new 18 registration !!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Some dealers will give five years' interest free credit on new car purchases.
  • [Deleted User]
    @exdvr Haha I'm so glad I don't drive 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    @Matilda Yes if seen that on here somewhere .. carnt go wrong with that .
  • jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    I too am looking into buying my mobility car,just waiting until next week for a price from them ,the stress of having to fight back for my mobility award nearly killed me off ! ,
    Does anyone know,if you lose your no-claims after being with mobility and then purchase your own car,(as some-one told me I will lose it and hence my insurance will be quite high )??
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Motability might know what the no-claims position is.
  • [Deleted User]
    @jose2 Good for you hope all goes well .
  • jose2
    Will do @Matilda, will add that to some other questions I need to ask them.
  • nanof6
    YOU COLLECT YOUR NO CLAIMS BONUS FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY THAT IS FROM THE MOBILITY CAR, AND IF YOU GET FULL ALLOWANCE FOR MOBILITY YOU DON'T PAY ROAD TAX 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    Thankyou for using this post for advise aswel this is helpful for those who are thinking about getting their own car 
  • nanof6
    if i new how to put a picture on here i could show the car i had 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Before getting DLA I had lost my car because I couldn't afford to run it. I was also a bad debt risk so could not borrow. When I finally got DLA I was in no position to buy a car, arrange insurance or organise breakdown cover or anything else involved. Fortunately Motability do everything for you. It is actually more expensive to have a Motability vehicle than it is to do it yourself but then, if you need adaptions, they will organise that for you too. Plus things like adaptions can be subsidised. Then there is also the option of a disabled person who cannot drive having the ability to have the use of a car.

I doubt ofc that any of this will impress the poster as I have noticed recently 2 or 3 names regularly slamming the help we get in making our lives better. I presume they are connected to the system that is also trying to take people's benefits away.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • jose2
    Thank you for the information mentioned @nanof6,and also @Budgie2.also as @Topkitten says have to make sure I am not a debt risk as not worked c/o disabilities for quite a number of years,and bought all my own cars from age of 21 years old and had a good job and good credit at that time.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    @Topkitten Each to their own thoughts that's why I posted wasn't slamming anyone
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    The Motability advance payments have certainly gone through the roof but it must be remembered that many makes and models are still available with zero or very low outlay. 600 cars are available with "deposits" of less than £250.    If you want to go even slightly more upmarket then you should expect the price you pay to rise.   Bearing all the advantages in mind I think that Motability can be a very good deal for many people.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• jose2
    Rather reluctantly I I have had to start looking at Motability cars again due to losing a lot of my insurance no-claims,due to an attempted break in 3 years ago and price quoted for insurance to own my 4 year old motability car is through the roof,I have come a cross a site called MASIS and company run by OSV which helps disabled get a new or used car if they have lost their higher rate motability,and at the end of the 3 year term then have the option to buy ,they say the are a charitable firm which helps the disabled ,has anyone heard of this company (they say they work along -side the Motability scheme)Would be interested to know if anyone has used this company. 
  • nanof6
    i  was watching house of commons thursday ester macvey is looking into the mobility scheem because its a chairty, alotho its tax payers money , and they have 1.5 billion in reserve, and top boss pay is very very high, so some mps were saying they take to much for cars and maybe there will be a rebate comming, but first an inquiry, made very intresting watching.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.