PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Have your say about your online community! Complete our annual survey.

PIP

SystemSystem Posts: 506 Scope community team
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: PIP.

Replies

• Babs08Babs08 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi my husband rang DWP to see if a decision has been made re his recent f2f assessment. He was told he was awarded enhanced mobility...great news. However 2 days later (today) we received our letters saying he has been awarded enhanced mobility and standard daily living!? When he asked the person on the phone if he had been awarded daily living she had there had been a query and it led to the daily living award being removed. So now we don’t know what to believe?!? Surely once the decision has been made and letter generated and sent its set? Or will we receive another letter saying ooops sorry we were wrong, we’re taking away the daily living award??? Typically it arrived today when we can’t call anyone. My husband is suffering enough without this confusion! Anyone else experienced this? 
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Babs08, and welcome!

It certainly sounds confusing, although unfortunately many of our members have also experienced similar issues.Hopefully somebody will be in touch soon and able to advise you further. 
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Babs08

It would be worth calling them and getting some clarity on this :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Babs08Babs08 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks so much Sam Scope....phoned them and yes apparently the original decision changed and we shouldn’t have gotten that letter. So he’s lost the standard daily living after it was originally awarded. Just such a ridiculous rollercoaster of miscommunications which impacts families and exacerbates anxiety and mental health conditions. An absolute disgrace of administration and communication! 
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @Babs08

Have you asked DWP for a copy of the assessor's report?

Are you going to ask for a mandatory reconsideration (MR) and go to appeal if necessary?  There is a Mandatory Reconsideration letter tool which will generate a letter for you.

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool

• ardmoulinardmoulin Member Posts: 4 Listener
    My son 36 has a severe learning disability - IQ 46 ; scoliosis  and attends a day centre.  Despite filling in the assessment form extensively he has to have a face-to face assessment. I had assumed when completing the form  that providing contact numbers for Social worker; OT etc the department would contact these parties for written evidence but they have not. His social worker and day care worker have since provided me with letters. However the OT has a directive not to get involved with PIP assessment so I am unable to obtain written evidence from her or my GP.  I ve been sent the following re assessments and LD.

"Update on Face to Face Assessments 
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/655611/pip-assessment-guide-part-1-assessment-process.pdf

Cases that should not require a face-to-face consultation

Pip assessment guide Part 1, Paragraph 1.5.4 states: 

Although each case should be determined individually, the following types of case should not normally require a face-to-face consultation:• The claimant questionnaire indicates a low level of disability, the information is consistent, medically reasonable and there is nothing to suggest under-reporting• The health condition(s) is associated with a low level of functional impairment, the claimant is under GP care only and there is no record of hospital admission. This advice applieseven if the claimant maintains that they suffer from a high level of functional impairment – it is medically improbable that this is the case and a face-to-face consultation is unlikely to add much useful additional information, since the clinical examination is likely to be unremarkable
    • There is strong evidence on which to advise on the case and a face-to-face consultation is likely to be stressful for the claimant (for example, claimants with autism, cognitive impairment or learning disability)
    • The claimant questionnaire indicates a high level of disability, the information is consistent, medically reasonable and there is nothing to suggest over-reporting – (examples may include claimants with severe neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, severely disabling stroke)"
    As my son has limited understanding, and a speech impairment I honestly cannot see how a face -to face assessment will provide any further information than that which I provided on the form + it will cause him distress to be questioned. What concerns me about the assessment is the fact he will agree to anything the assessor will state and given the horror stories of how they twist the answers am afraid that he will lose or have his benefit cut.  Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    It's rare for them to contact anyone on the list of contacts you put on the form. You should never rely on this.

My daughter has a learning disability with an IQ of 49, autism and a social anxiety disorder. I sent in over 40 A4 pages of evidence and high lighted all the parts that proved those descriptors applied to her. The reason i highlighed it was because i wanted the evidence that proved those descriptors applied to stand out, because they don't often read the evicence you send.

She still had to have an assessment. It was done at home and i didn't need a letter from her GP for this. It's rare to have a paper based decision, but it is possible.

If you're his appointee, and it sounds like you could be then you can speak on his behalf during the whole assessment.

We only read the horror stories because if someone has an award they're happy with, they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.

Good luck.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Many thanks Poppy

• jaycee6jaycee6 Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    HI Im the same daughter with downs syndrome severe learning difficulties we have to go to a face to face 20 miles away.  I think things have changed my friend has a daughter with downs she had a home visit 3 years ago, Poppy you were very lucky how long ago was youre assessment.MY daughter is 21 my friends 16 maybe that made the difference
    Hi Just back today from the assessment which lasted an hour. The assessor addressed all questions to me as his appointee. Only involved him in the physical part of the assessment, Distressful for me as I have never discussed the negative aspects of his disability in his presence before but unfortunately had to  for his claim. I dont know how it will affect him listening to the conversation.  6-8 wait before hearing decision. Here s hoping :)
  • PandicornPandicorn Member Posts: 1 Listener
    applied for pip, had someone come out as couldn't get there. i use a wheelchair, cant dress nor cook for myself. they gave high points for my mobility issues but then zero points as they say i can get out unaided and follow instructions. i wish i could but i cant go out alone let alone get out of my home alone. im in absolute shock at them.  
  • jaycee6jaycee6 Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    ardmoulin  HI was you're assessment today as bad as you imagined .Im dreading ours
    Hi Jaycee . No it wasnt. Young girl who said she was a nurse,Efficient but pleasant. The questions seemed to follow those outlined on self-assessment forms. She directed all questions to me as his appointee ( I was dreading her trying to question my son} She only involved him in the physical test which consisted of him stretching; bending; squeezing her wrist} As I said the upsetting part was me having to tell her of the negative aspects of his disability in his presence as I have never done so before. Go prepared with all the info as in the  online self assessment form. I suppose its the luck of the draw  in who your assessor is . It seemed to be all young girls in our centre.
    I ve been "up to high doh" this past fortnight dreading it but truly wasnt as bad as I was expecting. Good luck . 
Sign in or join us to comment.