Should I appeal or is it too risky? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I appeal or is it too risky?

Options
DBrooks
DBrooks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm after a bit of advice really, I've been getting the lower rate Care element and the higher rate mobility for over 10 years now via DLA. As this has now changed to PIP Im getting the standard rate for both. I have applied to appeal and am just waiting for a date.  I've been advised my a Mental Health organisation that it's too risky to appeal as its possible the original decision may be overturned.  I'm now stuck not knowing what to do, my motability car will have to go back and I wont be able to get out until some one is available to take me.  Can someone advise me whats best to do.  Thank you.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi DBrooks and welcome

It is true that an appeal panel can lower or remove your award. However the Judge will normally tell you if they think youur current award is not safe and give  the oportunity to withdraw
    The decision is yours but  If you deserve the award then you should fight for it all the way, many deserving people are put off due to the unfair tactics of the assessors and DWP

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DBrooks and welcome to the community. It is good to have you here.
    DLA and PIP problems have been experienced by a great many of our members, which means we have come to know quite a lot about it and people will read your post with sympathy and understanding.
    I am not a benefits expert, but both experienced and expert people will be along to respond to your post in due course. Bear with us :smile:
    You might find it interesting to have a look at our 'Talk about PIP/DLA' forum https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla.
    And if you have any other issues or questions, please don't hesitate to tell us about them.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • DBrooks
    DBrooks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for the welcome and replies, the stubbornest in me says to fight it all the way but the thing that worries me in doing that is having benefit cut while somebody that doesn't know me can decide whether or not I deserve it.  Especially when I've been appealing my ESA for almost two years now and in all that time my benefit was stopped. All because my assessor decided to blatantly lie about me and my conditions.  And nobody is prepared to listen or do anything about my false assessment report not even my local MP.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.