Parents/ carers educational resource for SEN children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parents/ carers educational resource for SEN children

camptys
camptys Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited February 2018 in Education
We're pleased to inform parents and carers of children with SEN that we're running workshops on how to use the Pocket Learner to help children build vocabulary, learn to read and improve communication. 

Residents of Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Islington, Haringey, and Waltham Forest receive a free set of resources while the funding lasts.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018
    Hi @camptys

I'm very very sorry that I haven't picked up your post until now !!!

I have moved it over to our "parentsofdisabledchildren" for you.

Hi @parentsofdisabledchildren

Can you please help me with this post  ????

Many thanks.
  • Lauralippykate
    Lauralippykate Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited February 2018
    hi I hope someone could give me some advice. My son,  was 1st observed by the school educational psychologist back in 2013 and outlined in the report that my son needed support in certain areas +would benefit him to have occupational therapy +behaviour support 2 help him manage his emotions in social situations.  It's now been 5yrs +although he's had numerous reports +observations all outlining he needs this support .! no support has been put in place. Iv read that if any child is assessed by EP etc,& that they have a duty of care 2 that child 2 have equal opportunities as children without SEN.? I'm so worried for my son hes just turned 10yrs old and cannot write a tidy sentence. I'm angry how much time has past,they have neglected my sons +more then lykly other children aswell something should be done about this
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Lauralippykate and welcome to the community. 
    Working for some years in a high school as a learning support assistant for children on the autistic spectrum I have unfortunately seen too much of how schools can fail the children in their care. I am sure you are right to be concerned.
    This is not my area of expertise, but I'm going to try to tag somebody in who might be able to help and advise you. This is a new process for me, so be in touch if you do not hear anything soon.
    @IndependentSupportServices
    Hope this helps,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• Tora
    Tora Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @Lauralippykate I'm really sorry to hear your son has not been adequately supported but sadly this is commonplace due to so many factors, funding, ignorance resulting in you not being properly informed of the correct process. You need to apply for an Education Health Care needs assessment now. IPSEA (see their website) are a great support service and have the standard letter you need to send to your LA Send Team.once you send this letter, amend it to state your son's needs and copy all the reports you have had done, the LA have six weeks to say whether they will assess him. If they do not agree to, you can appeal. If they agree to assess him for a ehc plan they have a further 20 or so weeks to do this. If they agree to him having a plan you have more power, as the education part is legally binding, to get the school to put support in place. If they do not agree as school might say they can support without the need for a plan, appeal as school have not done so before now. Good luck, it can be a long fight. I had to do this for my son, had to appeal both times but son now has home education and online course that suits him, he is now 18.The LA have to cut budgets so not agreeing to plans easily even when needs are evidenced. Become informed, lots of fb groups to help you too. Good luck xx
  • Lauralippykate
    Lauralippykate Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thank you both for this information, i had a meeting with the head +my sons class teacher yesterday, but unfortunately  still have made no progress on any support for my son.
    i have been researching more on home schooling as an option but with my son not having friends, +suffers with understanding social situations, i'm afraid taking him out of school, would worsen this problem.  :( 

Brightness