Poor PIP experience — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Poor PIP experience

Options
Bear1
Bear1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am am in the process of having to apply for PIP having recieved DLA at the higher rate for both components. After filling in the lengthy form and fully explaining how rheumatoid arthritis effects my daily life (have suffered over 20yrs with it and it has got worse) all my joints have gone to bone on bone pain is excrutiating and walking is a labour. Unless people  it they do not fully understand. Anyway I went through my interview/assessment with the health proffessional - in fact a paramedic! However from onset I knew his interest in me was nil - on ticking his points off on his laptop and at the end I felt insulted by his interest- in fact no more than a number to him. Got my result back yesterday and only awarded the lower daily living benefit after receiving DLA at higher rate for both parts. Nothing had changed in my condition except getting worse, so what difference has changing the name to PIP been the. Difference to reduce my grant? Well I have gone back to have my decision reconsidered. If that fails I will appeal further to a tribunal.
anyone going through this has my sympathy.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Bear and welcome

Sorry you are going through this. I know the pain you are in.

It is important to understand the difference between DLA and PIP
    Have a look at the B&W self test to get an idea of the points system, descriptors and criteria

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Bear1, as the two previous post have stated DLA and PIP are totally two different benefits with different scoring criteria, take a self test on the benefits and work site as sujest end by CR, if you do you will see if you would or could be awarded PIP by the points scoring criteria. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The purpose of PIP is to try to reduce or remove disability benefits, differences between DLA and PIP apart. I was on indefinite DLA top rates both components. Reduced after assessment by a lying and incompetent Atos paramedic to standard both components PIP. Tribunal awarded me enhanced both components.

So don't give up as 65% of appeals succeed.  Disabilty Rights UK site has a guide to PIP including appeals. And the Disabilty Rights Handbook is very good though you have to buy this - available from the Disabilty Rights site.
  • Bear1
    Options
    From Bear1. 
    I fully understand DLA/PIP requirements, but what would be nice would be for an assessor to treat you as a person when talking to you, not one to talk at for the purpose of ticking boxes off. I do not need to be patronised, it is hard enough living with Rheumatoid arthritis every day.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know whom I had in front of me. Paramedics who turn up on a three nines haven't heard of my condition anyway. So I didn't ask.

I think it must be subjective what they see in front of them. 
    I went from middle care low mobility, to no care and high mobility.
    When I did the self tests I made it a 6, 7 or an 8 depending on the day I was having. But always low or no mobility.

My assessor wrote he couldnt help with anything not covered in the description. So there wasn't a doubt I did need help it just didn't slot into the boxes.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Bear1
    Options
    Whistles. 
    It is good to know there are people out there who understand RA and that there are good and bad days, mostly the latter.  I only hope things improve. Ps awake at 3.am doing blog because woke up with pain. PIP doesn't see that. 
    Bear1.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think this is where pip fails some people. There is no night time care anymore.  So even though they say they are talking about daily living, if you can't sleep that effects the next day of your daily living but it might not be all the time. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    There is no distinction between night and day with PIP, although many of the descriptors fit mainly with daytime but certainly help with Toileting might be needed at night

CR
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    LOL mike
    we do think along the same lines at times, I for one value your expertise

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.