PIP decision on "Preparing Food" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision on "Preparing Food"

Summerx
Summerx Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi. Would like some advice. Just received my PIP award and scored 4 points for preparing food as they have stated I need supervision or assistance. I can't prepare or cook food and have a care package in place and my carer comes in 3 times a day to prepare all food. I called PIP and asked how they made the decision and was told that as I have no cognitive problems and I can tell someone what to cook this is classed as me needing assistance, even though physically I have no input in preparing any meals. Is this correct????

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Summerx and welcome

What was your overall award ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Summerx
    Hi CR. I scored 12 points on mobility and 11 on daily living. So enhanced mobility and standard daily living.

Summerx
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Hi Summer, just would like to say hi , also to say nothing surprises me any more regarding PIp.  

In. My case twice I had to call out the fire brigade, forgetting I left food on cooker, and went out.  Also, have weak hands and wrists so can't cut up veg etc.  I did get points but for prompting.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Summerx
    Hi Charlene. I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm starting to think they close their eyes and hit a box and see what they get as it seems not many are getting fair scores.

Summerx

• CockneyRebel
    Hi summerx

Are there any other areas that you might score more points for ?

Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?

An MR and or appeal can look at your whole award and can take points away.

Was this a review or a transfer from DLA ?

CR
  • Summerx
    Hi CR

No I don;t think I would get more points.

Haven't asked for assessment report yet and I'm hesitating about the MR as I know they can take points off.

It was a transfer from DLA where I had high mobility and high care.

Summerx

• charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    So sorry Cocknyrebel, didn't mean to butt in. No one was responding to Summerx post, when I started to reply.

Summerx, Cocknyrebel is the expert here:)
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Not wishing to put a downer on your award but moving from DLA to  PIP and getting the award you got I should be grateful and accept what you got remember the two benefits are scored using criteria the DLA focus on your disability and PIP your abilities so with a score like yours leave well alone but the choice is yours. Good luck.
  • Summerx
    Hi Wilko

It's not putting a downer on it, it's being honest so thank you. I'm more likely to leave well alone than to ask for a MR and have points taken off.

Summerx
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi summerx

You should ask for the assessment report straight away
    Without wishing to pry, can you tell me what your other points were ?

Also have a look at the B&W self test to get an idea of the points, descriptors and criteria

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I probably would leave that award alone. How long is it for?

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Summerx
    CR I'll put the points up tomorrow and will have a look at that link. Thank you

Whistles I got 4 years

Summerx

• CockneyRebel
    No problem, glad to help

CR
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Summerx

I would say you should have got more points for food preparation because you cannot physically prepare food at all.  My recollection is that that is what the descriptor says, not can't do it themselves but can instruct others.  Suggest you  check what the descriptors actually say - lists are on lots of sites including the Disability Rights UK site.

It's worth asking for an MR if you think your current award is safe, i.e, DWP would have no justification in reducing your current award (though that wouldn't necessarily stop them!).  However 80% of MRs don't change the award.

I got 11 points daily living, 10 mobility, MR made no change, Tribunal awarded me 13 and 12.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    You have a good score on both
    Why would you risk them taking points off you???
    You need to be greatful for what you have.
    There are many on here  who got very low points and they are really struggling.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    edited March 2018
    Be thankfull for this award PLEASE you don't seem to be thankful enough
  • Springtime18
    Springtime18 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    I'm concerned that some people basically say be grateful for what Summerx gets. I would encourage Summerx to ask for a MR. I am waiting on one myself, I got 14 for daily living and 10 for mobility. I looked at citizens advice how to complete the form, in regards to the preparing foods, I became aware from CAB that if you need a seat e.g. that is considered an aid. My own award said that I could plan a journey because I had no cognitive problems, I have asked them for a MC as it was clear because I could string a sentence together I was being penalised as I could  in theory plan a journey but physically and mentally this is not possible and need someone to hold on to. Il let you know if I get the 2 extra points waiting for 5 weeks now, I thought that even after appeal at least I tried and could then get closure and accept, and ultimately move on and not let the dreaded PIP it take over.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    To be fair, some of us did originally get nothing.

It is true - the OP should be grateful that they did at least get something.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.