Online Forums or Social Media — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online Forums or Social Media

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
Hi everyone,
What is your preferred method of Communication are you an old school forum user or do you prefer to use Social Media? I am just asking because I find  online communities are now more popular with social networks then online forums (which they once were). I find this both sad and downgrading as not everyone is comfortable with posting on Facebook, I for one definitely isn't - hence others being able to read everything you post. Well, almost everything. 
I remember back in the day RNIB had an online community for students which i used to use a lot. These days there appears to be more of facebook and fewer stand alone communities. My question is are we better off posting and sharing ideas here or can we use Facebook to exchange information and make connections? What dos and don'ts do you have in place for your online communities. I apologies if my question is not 100 clear. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I was on Facebook, private settings, but not anymore.
    It makes my mental health worse and paranoia extreme.
    My way of communication is here, people with knowledge of things to help, support me.
    i feel, each to their own but I’d rather have this site as people judging me.
    my personal opinion though 
  • susan48
    And hopefully I can help, support other people too, it’s not just about me x
  • [Deleted User]
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Some interesting responses. I am aware Scope has a fb page although I am aware it is just for marketing.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    That's answered my query on what is social media. No don't use it. If genuine friends want to contact me they have many ways in which they can do so. 
    Carrier pigeon supplied if necessary. 

I have an off button, social media doesn't appear to and is becoming a modern day addiction. 

When was the last time you wrote a letter (Tuesday) before this last year!
    When was the last time you telephoned someone ( today) before that few weeks ago
    When was the last time you text ( just now) before that just before the just now. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    I try to meet a friend as well. I live dangerously and order something different off the menu. My instinct is but I always have......
    I don't really do change to be fair. Bit of an odd bod. Winter clothes to summer is hard work as is changing back. Don't start me on the snow. I couldn't go out at all, though they were saying unless you needed to. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    No thank you social media 
  • whistles
    No thank you social media 
    Ditto.
    Life is isolating enough. I need to speak to people not sit liking at written words. 
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @Victoriad I have not been there for about18 years I loved the restaurant :) mmmmmmm memories
    I do a little of social media as my family and friends are all over the place so it helps keep in touch we normally agree time to get a cuppa and skype lol I have folk who come to my house daily for a cuppa and there are a few friends I post letters to still as they dont have many people in their lives and I do that so they get something nice in the post rather than just bills.

I started out on forums mostly fox forums around a certain programme in the 90's so felt happy emailing and forums so when social media came out I never really got on board. Although I have the account for one of them, I do not use it often as I am fed up seeing peoples breakfast, or their duckface or every new face their children pull.

I do worry about next generation, not just spelling and grammar, also their inability to read a situation or body language. I had taken my children to mcdonalds and every cubicle I looked at, had people looking into their phones not conversing with those they were having a meal with. It is quite shocking.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriad fox tv used to have a forum on their tv shows. it was about 97 or 98 it started and I used to be on there chatting with people from all round the world I thought it was fantastic talking to people from all over the place it was brilliant.
  • susan48
    @fishingmum, I also worry about the younger generation using computers etc.
    I had a 10 year old say to me a few weeks ago, 
    “ I think I’m going to ask my teacher if I can get a tablet for doing my work because my writings rubbish “

Omg, seriously!!

I said, the reason you think your  writing isn’t so great is because you don’t practice enough, your too busy on your phone and tablet. practice makes perfect.
  • fishingmum
    @susan48 it is very true, they are losing basic writing skills and conversation skill, I have overheard children talking in text speech, they will say OMG or lol or idk and I am wondering what language they are using it will be soon enough if you can not text talk then you will lose out on many things or great deals as you don't understand :o
  • whistles
    They teach children as young as two to work ipads. 
    I don't have one. 
    But then when I had a computer my parents restricted me to one hour per day. I was then expected to do something else.
  • fishingmum
    my brother in law who is a teacher, never thought he would have kids but him and his wife had a daughter and to be honest I thought he would have standards but nope, his daughter was on an ipad at age 2 (the cost alone would mean I would say no to a 2 year old having one) and he would boast about how brilliant his daughter is, how intelligent etc. she does not do that great at school but she can fair use an ipad lol. She also is extremely shy and does not talk to people but that ipad she is fine with.
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriadit yes but to what cost. The way I am looking at this, the more that goes to a.i. and machine made, the more people out of work, the more out of work the more pressure on the system we currently have, at some point it will crash. Thats the worrying point, for especially those who are vulnerable, those who can not work etc those people will be the worst off. My oldest does coding, and programmes computers for games etc I just can not see how this will be OK at the rate it is changing to computing only living.

Brightness