Disability Benefits Research — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Benefits Research

MelWilkes
MelWilkes Community member Posts: 18 Connected
What is the study about?
Disability benefits have changed in recent years.
This includes changes to Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Employment Support Allowance (ESA), and the introduction of Universal Credit (UC).
Changes include new assessments, eligibility criteria, and the amount of support available.
This research is about listening to and learning from the experiences of disabled people and people living mental health and fluctuating conditions.
We would like to hear your experience of benefits assessments, eligibility and rates of awards.

Who is conducting the research?
The research is conducted by researchers at the University of East Anglia (UEA) and the University of Glasgow.
The research team includes disabled and non-disabled researchers, all of whom have experience of inclusive disability research.

Can you take part?
Yes, if you are a disabled person or someone living with a long term physical or mental health condition, and have experience of either PIP, ESA, or Universal Credit. You need to be over 18 years old and be able to provide informed consent.

Do you have to take part?
No. You do not have to take part in the research and your support and entitlements will not be affected if you decline.

What would taking part involve?
If you agree to take part, a researcher will contact you to arrange an interview.
The interview will focus on your experience of disability benefits, and whether or not the support you receive enables you to live the life you want to lead.
Interviews will usually take place by telephone, but we can arrange a face-to-face interview if you prefer.
Interviews will take about one hour and will be audio recorded. We will transcribe the audio recording. The transcript of your interview will be anonymised, meaning we will remove all personally identifying information (such as any names or places you may mention).

If you need extra personal assistance to take part in a face-to-face interview, we will meet these costs. If you need a British Sign Language interpretation to take part in an interview, we will meet these costs.

As a token of our appreciation, we will offer you a £20 in non-cash voucher for taking part.

You may stop the interview at any time and withdraw from the study whenever you like. You may withdraw your interview from the study at any time.

Who funds the research?
The Disability Benefits Consortium (DBC) is funding this research. The DBC are a national consortium of over 80 disability charities, including Scope, working towards a fairer benefits system.

How can I take part?
If you would like to take part, contact Tom Porter at the University of East Anglia. Email: t.porter@uea.ac.uk Telephone: 01603 597 689.

Comments

• nessbro
    nessbro Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    would you be able to help me with the p.i.p forms as I have no ide want to do I am 67 next not well and so bother about putting the wrong thing down 
  • MelWilkes
    MelWilkes Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Hi @nessbro

Thanks for getting in touch. 

You might find the Guide to making a PIP claim on the Disability Rights UK website helpful with filling in your form.

Citizens Advice also have a page for filling in a PIP claim form which includes information about what each question means and how to provide additional information. 

Your local Citizens Advice service may be able to provide help in person with completing the form. 

Scope's helpline is free to call or email and the team will be happy to help with any queries you have about PIP or other disability benefits. 

I hope that helps, 

Mel 

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hey @nessbro

Me and my Grandma did our PIP forms at similar time. She gets lots of help from Age UK to fill hers in. They help those over 50 so worth you giving them a call. 

Also, do you have a social worker  that's who else helped my Grandma. 

In terms of putting the wrong thing down  try not to worry. Just be truthful and don't under estimate what you can't do and what you are finding hard. 

Where it asks if you can do something, being able to do something means 

Without pain

You can do it repeatedly

It takes a normal amount of time

You can do it safely

So for example if you can cook a meal but it takes ages and you cut or burn yourself or drop things. Or if you've made a simple meal and then you are in pain or exhausted... Then no, you can't do it.

If you use a computer, you can use that to type your answers. I had this verified by the PIP people. It's much easier to edit and change your answers when done on computer. 

Or, write your answers on normal paper first, then reread or get a friend etc to read then write it out in neatt on form. 

But just describe how it is. 

And describe it on your worst day as that's what you need the support for. 

Is there are particular question that's bothering you? 
  • mossycow
    I have emailed Tom, thanks
  • mossycow
    P. S. @nessbro

So sorry to hear you are not well. Perhaps you could post in other parts of this forum and get support from others too. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    What is the research for? As in what happens to it afterwards? 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5 Listener
    I would be interested in taking part. I feel that I was discriminated against in my PIP renewal for working as the enhanced care was cut to standard rate on the grounds that I work. Although it is being reconsidered, I have in this period had to give up work.
  • nessbro
    nessbro Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    mossycow said:
    Hey @nessbro

Me and my Grandma did our PIP forms at similar time. She gets lots of help from Age UK to fill hers in. They help those over 50 so worth you giving them a call. 

Also, do you have a social worker  that's who else helped my Grandma. 

In terms of putting the wrong thing down  try not to worry. Just be truthful and don't under estimate what you can't do and what you are finding hard. 

Where it asks if you can do something, being able to do something means 

Without pain

You can do it repeatedly

It takes a normal amount of time

You can do it safely

So for example if you can cook a meal but it takes ages and you cut or burn yourself or drop things. Or if you've made a simple meal and then you are in pain or exhausted... Then no, you can't do it.

If you use a computer, you can use that to type your answers. I had this verified by the PIP people. It's much easier to edit and change your answers when done on computer. 

Or, write your answers on normal paper first, then reread or get a friend etc to read then write it out in neatt on form. 

But just describe how it is. 

And describe it on your worst day as that's what you need the support for. 

Is there are particular question that's bothering you? 
    hi thank you for that have not been on for a while so only just readed your reply 
  • freckles
    freckles Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    Hi could you help me with a pip appeal i got my M.R. back today and in some ways it contridicts the first decision i need help

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.