Has anyone else experienced something similar - benefits stopped due to mail issues? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone else experienced something similar - benefits stopped due to mail issues?

Options
lolaboots
lolaboots Community member Posts: 32 Connected
I have been claiming IR ESA for a number of years with no problems.Just over a month ago,i noticed my usual payment wasn't in the bank so i run DWP to query it.I was told my benefit had been stopped,i hadn't attended a medical i didn't actually know about.I was then asked if i had any mail issues at my address.Yes!I live in a small village and there is a street with the same name two minutes away,so much of my post has ended up there but it was clear by her tone she didn't believe me.Anyway,she informed me there was nothing whatsoever she could do to help as i was no longer in receipt of benefits and mumbled something about a mandatory reconsideration.

The DWP should have it on record that missing mail is a regular occurence for me,twice last year i had a home visit from the same man regarding a missed apppointment.He was understanding and told me i could get text messages instead which i was happy with.Not that i have ever received a text from them.
I have never been sanctioned or anything like that before,it was straight into benefits stopped despite the obvious explanation for me missing the medical should have been in their files.
It wasn't until i rang the dwp a second time to request their decison letter that i was even aware it was an option to give an alternate address for your mail to be sent to.
So,a few weeks ago i sent my MR letter off and i had a text from them finally on Friday to say i will have their decsion by the 29th.
It just seems like such a drastic measure given the circumstances etc and i wondered if anyone else has been through a similar ordeal and how you fared?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lolaboots, and welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and sorry to hear about your difficulties. Hopefully some more of our members will be able to share their experiences too. Have you heard anything back yet? Fingers crossed for the outcome you're hoping for. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is an unfair system. The DWP can assume that if they post a letter it will be considered delivered, but we are not accorded the same asssumption

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lolaboots
    Options
    Exactly @CockneyRebel,Worse considering there is a long standing issue with mail at this address-not just with DWP but they are aware of and have been for a long time,it's not as though it's an excuse i trotted out to try my luck at not getting my benefit stopped!
    Thank you @PippaScope.Since this all began,i have heard from them once(by text)to say i will have their decision by the 29th but,call me cynical,i just have this overwhelming feeling that,come Thursday,no letter will have arrived and i'll be spending the day on hold!
  • debweb07
    debweb07 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    My pip decision took three weeks to reach me .I asked for reconsideration on 1st march I have till tomorrow to get everything in .but as moved 162 miles from Midlands to Neath my records still haven't arrived from 15 months ago .I asked my hospital in mids to send my records but this can take up to 40 days give or altake I've told pip this no extension I'm hoping they got enough evidence from my doctor to back up most of what I say or it going to tribunal
  • lolaboots
    Options
    I don't know if this gives anyone a bit of hope..i  finally have found out that the mandatory reconsideration was upheld in my favour.That's the good news,the i'm-not-sure news is that i was told my ESA payments would resume today and as yet,the bank account is empty.I'm trying to stay positive,i've never paid any attention to what time of day my payments have gone in before.So fingers crossed else i'll 'have to ring them back and they can 'chase down what is going on',sigh,I couldn't even bring myself to ask about back dated payments when i rung them last week,my luck doesn't stretch that far!
  • lolaboots
    Options
    A quick update-just got off the phone with DWP.
    Ok well,that was a nightmare.The woman on the phone kept muttering about the 26th(the date my MR notice was sent out),failiure to turn up for a medical etc...i asked her why i was told last week my payments would begin on the 10th and she said 'i have no idea'.Result is,i have to wait up to 48 hours for my local job centre to call me back

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.