Why? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why?

19tinab81
19tinab81 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My name is Christina and I had a Pip assessment in February. I was sent a form in December asking for an update on my conditions and their affect on my daily life. I was truthful and said that my conditions had worsened, therefore their affects on my life had become more difficult since my first assessment in 2014.
I asked for a home visit because I am often house bound because of one of my conditions. This was refused so I attended the Pip assessment in February. My carer came with me and any questions that were asked were thoroughly explained. It took lots of support and encouragement from my carer to leave the house that day and talk to a stranger about my conditions and the difficulties that I face each day. 
The decision letter arrived last week. ‘We are sorry to inform you...’ The information provided as to why was basic and inaccurate. The scores were very low and I was scored zero for most of them. After reading through the letter, my carer and I sat down and wrote to the DWP and explained every point on the form. This is where my GCSE English Language came in handy! The information that the assessor asked for was not on the decision letter and the DWP was given information, then decided I can do a,b,c and I can do it ‘unaided’. I am still baffled that since my first assessment, everyday life and mobility is more difficult, meaning I need my carer more now, yet I’ve scored much less than my first assessment!?
I’m furious as to how I’ve been treated and from what I read on the discussions on here, I am not the only one. Why ask me to go to an assessment centre that’s independent from the DWP for someone from the DWP, who hasn’t met you and sat and listen to you answer some very difficult and private questions, and base their desicion on what they ‘think’ you can do? It’s wrong, it’s immoral and it needs challenging. If you are in a situation where the DWP has done something similar to you, challenge it. Read the information that is provided on this website. Send them a letter asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration within 30 days of the date of the desicion letter. Clearly explain what information is incorrect on the letter and why. My letter was 4 pages long! I have to wait for the outcome of my Mandatory Reconsideration and I’m fully prepared to go to a tribunal, if I have to. I am wishing all the best to those of you who are experiencing difficulties with the DWP and your benefits having stopped. I hope you all find some peace as we face enough difficulties as it is 

Comments

• sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I had a pip review on the 7th March.  I'm expecting a decision any day now. I'm not hopeful but I will challenge anything that comes my way. I would rather die and become a nasty dwp statistic than roll over and allow some lying assessor to dictate what I can do, when I can't do it. I'm sick of being treated like this and I'm not having anymore of it. 
    For your claim I would also want it noted that you were forced to attend a centre when you requested a home visit. I know your situatioN was either attend or be plunged into extreme poverty.  But just for you to know they tried it with me. I absolutely refused to attend the centre because I knew I couldn't.  They tried to force me but after a cancelled assessment they did give in and do a home assesment. I threatened to complain that they were deliberately with holding financial support from me as no way I could attend a centre and if I missed another appointment my benefits wouod be stopped and it woukd be their fault not mine. I don't know if this did make a difference or not or whether they would have arranged a home visit anyway,  but my point is if you can't attend a centre then you have to stick to your guns as they will do anything to make you contradict yourself. It's cruel what they do, as most people will try their best to attend because they need the money. But I do beleive the dwp use these efforts against you. They don't care how it left you feeling or if you were ill in bed for a week afterwards.  
    I hope my sitiation can help people because I 100% couldn't attend and knew I would have my benefits stopped but there was nothing I could do about it. But I did get my home visit in the end. 
    Not that I think it will makeep the slightest difference to the outcome of my assesment.  

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Christina @19tinab81 and a warm welcome to the community. I found your response to nelle1407's post, didn't remember seeing an introduction in your name and came looking for you :smile: (A newcomer thinks she can escape from ME, bwaahahaha)
    So here I am and so there are you, experiencing the kind of awful difficulties that so many of our members report to us, and it makes my blood boil, even though I know that because of the nature of our site we are going to hear far more about what is going wrong than about anything that is going right, where benefits are concerned.
    You've found a safe place here, Christina, among friends, and others will be responding to your post in due course (it's a quiet time of day here at the moment).
    Moving on, then; who have you got in your corner at present? Have you spoken to CAB? I understand they're pretty good at supporting to the extent of helping fill in forms and more. And whether or not you've been in touch with them we have some brilliant, expert people and resources here to help you with your PIP claim and, if and when it comes to it, the Tribunal.
    So stay in touch, keep us updated, and let us know if there is anything at all you think we can assist with.
    Here and listening,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard 
  • 19tinab81
    Good for you @sandyp196. I hope you get the right decision. I know what you mean when you talk about people’s treatment of you. It’s like you are labelled as difficult or lazy when you are genuinely struggling and feel like life is a fight just to be treated fairly. I wish you the best of luck 
  • 19tinab81
    It’s lovely to see some humor and positivity @JennysDad and thank you for your kind words. I haven’t contacted the CAB just yet. I’ve got most of the support info off this website. I have a GP appointment next week for test results/review of medication so my medical notes are all up to date too should it be required as evidence. Kind regards
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    It's looks as though there is a mini backlash going on here.  I am waiting to hear the result of my MR  and will go to tribunal if I have to.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @19tinab81, I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. As you say, unfortunately your experience isn't uncommon, and I'm sure many of our community members will be able to empathise.

It's really good to hear that you've begun the MR process straight away. Please do keep us updated and if there's anything we can assist you with, just let us know and we'll do our best to help.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @charlene,
    please let us know when you do here, Iv been thinking about you  :)
  • 19tinab81
    Thank you @lillybelle and @charlene for your message. I wish you the best of luck with your MR too. Thank you @PippaScope I will certainly keep you updated. It’s not a pleasant situation to be in but I’m extremely grateful for all the messages of support xx
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @19tinab81,
    I do hope you get the decision you hope for.

its a very anxious time and I think they forget it’s people’s lives that’s totally effected by whatever decision they decide.

good luck
  • 19tinab81
    Thank you @susan48 for your message and support

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.