What is disability income guarantee? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is disability income guarantee?

nanmac
nanmac Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have been receiving esa since 2008 work related and i was getting dla low rate . 
Last year i won my appeal for pip and it was backdated to Jan 2017 . 
A few weeks later i was granted severe disability , that was backdated too .
In January this year , i was invited to a f2f for esa. The young woman who interviewed me , said that they had not wanted to call me in , but they had not received the information needed from my GP concerning my mental health and how it affects me. When we were leaving , she said i would hear from assessors in 3-4 weeks .
In February i received a letter to say , they had looked at my claim again . And that my benefit would be increased from the 1st February 2018 , because i have been moved from the work related activity group to the support group . 
So what they have given me is disability income guarantee . Something i have never heard of , it must be to do with the f 2 f i attended , in January this year. 
The thing that puzzles me , is this a new benefit ? Or something i should have claimed before . 
As anyone else had the happen ?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Hi nanmac and welcome

What ammout is this for ?
    i think it might be the enhanced disability premium
    Is your ESA CB or do you have an IR top up ?

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • nanmac
    Hi thank you
    ESA IR and it’s for £15.90 a week. 
  • CockneyRebel
    edited April 2018
    Ithink that is the old rate for EDP if so
    whoopee it has gone up to £16.40

Do you also get SDP ?

CR
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nanmac, and welcome to the community!

According to this forum, disability income guarantee seems to be, as CR has said, the same as enhanced disability premium. 
  • nanmac
    Yes I do get sdp since July last year . Just after I had won my appeal for pip the living component. I would have thought, i would have been moved into the support group of esa then . 
  • nanmac
    Hi pippa  :)
    thank you . I’ve never done anything like this before. I do try to find answers to things that puzzle me. As I said this is the first time I’ve actually posted a question. I’m so glad I have. Thank you to  CR and yourself.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Enhanced disability premium is only paid in the WRAG if you're claiming Enhanced daily living PIP or High rate care DLA. It's automatically paid in the Support Group if receiving Income Related.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Debbie02
    Debbie02 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Ithink that is the old rate for EDP if so
    whoopee it has gone up to £16.40

Do you also get SDP ?

CR
    Hi all what is IR
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Income related
  • nanmac
    I was thinking it could have been to do with, them looking at mental health again. I heard something about, them looking at claims again and that there’s a lot of money to be paid to people who were wrongly assessed. 
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    I get it paid to nanmac  but have never questioned what it is for.  Well done you for asking, I have learnt something.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • CockneyRebel
    nanmac said:
    I was thinking it could have been to do with, them looking at mental health again. I heard something about, them looking at claims again and that there’s a lot of money to be paid to people who were wrongly assessed. 
    Unfortunately we are a long way off anyone seeing this, the DWP have not as yet
    updated the guidance to HCP's and DM's

CR
  • matthew04
    matthew04 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Good afternoon , I was also wondering what the disability income guarantee is as it has not shown on my esa letter awards for the last 3 years even though I got placed in the esa support group 3 years ago it has only now shown in my recent letter so I am confused , is this something new or something I should have received at the start ?, I have recently won a pip appeal tribunal after a review of my pip ended by taking pip fully away and I had it reinstated by a tribunal , my MP helped and it ended in a review of all my benefits and a back dated amount, I worked from age 16 to 39 with same company until they ended my contract due to I’ll heath after working for them for over 20 years I got not one penny from them and relied on benefits for first time in my life with 4 children so I am not up to date with the benefit system at all so any help appreciated thank you x 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    The disability income guarantee is the Enhanced disability premium, automatically paid to those in the Support Group Income Related. Or paid in the WRAG Income related if you're receiving Enhanced daily living PIP or high rate care DLA. This premium is £16.40 per week single person's rate, slightly more if claiming as a couple.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • matthew04
    Thank you for your reply , the amount besides it says £23.60 this is why I am confused as I thought  it was £15 I have written to them to ask , last time I done that there were several benefits I hadn’t been given correctly and got them back dated , my MP s adviser says it just depends on how qualified the dwp assessor that is sorting out your claim is x 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    Are you claiming ESA as a couple or single person? Single persons rate for this premium is as i stated above, £16.40 per week...couples rate is £23.55 per week. You shouldn't be claiming the higher amount of your claim is just for yourself.
  • matthew04
    My husband was added to the claim due to an accident he had which tore all his tendents in his left arm and was given an 8 month sick line due to major surgery which he took along at his interview but every week I get in a new brown envelope showing something has been added or deleted it’s so hard to keep on top of it and budget with but my husband was added in March but only 2 weeks ago did I get this envelope showing this £23 amount , we have 4 children , 3 under 17 x 
  • poppy123456
    If you're claiming ESA as a couple then your husband won't need a fit note to be added to your claim. If he's claiming Contributions based ESA on his own then he will need a fit note. If you're claiming as a couple then the premium added will be £23.55 per week.
  • mags0711195
    mags0711195 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Can you get the disability income guarantee ,when you start getting your state pension (also on pip enhanced daily )
  • poppy123456
    This disability income guarantee is otherwise known as Enhanced disability premium and is payable on top of Income Related ESA. ESA is a working age benefit so the answer is no.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.