Upcoming PIP medical — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Upcoming PIP medical

jemima661
jemima661 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone.
Never joined a forum before but have been reading through some comments and I've found they've helped me already.
I'm going for a PIP medical assessment this week (Fri). I've been on DLA for years low care and high mobility so I'm now bricking it as I've heard these people are getting paid extra for every person they get 'off' 

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @jemima661 welcome, are you taking someone with you? Have a look on here for what to expect from pip medical assessment and write down what you want to say or any questions you want to ask. Hopefully someone will post that link for you @Sam_Scope I’ve been through it myself and I just did my best but expected the worst. I would just say take everything with a pinch of salt as they can appear very nice and helpful and yet you get report that’s nothing like that. Not always but sometimes. You can see that from on here. You can record your assessment but you have to provide the equipment and 2 copies. I took someone with me for support and to witness the assessment. In my case, the report was nothing like the assessment and I’m appealing it. Good luck
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jemima661

There is lots of information about PIP and the assessments here including some helpful videos. :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jemima661
    Thank you Debbie, Thank you Sam.
    Yes I'm taking somebody with me and I'll take a look at the link to see what to expect. 
    Thanks again
    L x
  • jemima661
    I have been taking a look at the link you sent me Sam but I can't access some as it says it's denied in my location. Why?
  • jemima661
    I didn't get a copy of the form I filled in as I didn't have time so will I be able to see the answers I gave as I filled it in a while ago and I've obviously slept since then!! I just don't want to miss anything out that I put! 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jemima661, lovely to meet you. How odd that you couldn't access the link. Here is the video from the page:

https://youtu.be/qq5QV_SnkJs
  • jemima661
    I accessed the link but there was a part where I could check out the self point scores and that part is denied in my location
  • jemima661
    didn't get a copy of the form I filled in as I didn't have time so will I be able to see the answers I gave as I filled it in a while ago and I've obviously slept since then!! I just don't want to miss anything out that I put! 
    Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/43008/upcoming-pip-medical#uOcx6m2qUSsPB8aY.99
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @jemima661, let me know if you have any luck with this link to the self-test! 

As for a copy of the form, I'm not sure whether you'll get another copy of this but perhaps some of our other community members will know- @CockneyRebel, any ideas?
  • jemima661
    Can I ask to see the screen he/she is typing on?
  • jemima661
    Hi pippa, thank you for the link to the self test, I could access it this way no problem. 
    Also in ref to above, could I ask if I could sit where I can see the screen do I can see the questions and what she/he is typing in answer? 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    It depends how the room is set up I suppose. I don’t see why you can’t see the screen but it won’t make a lot of difference as they can change it afterwards . You don’t get a print out there and then which I think you should and the copies should be agreed and signed. I kept asking my assessor to read it back to me but she stalled me and then didn’t do it. 
  • jemima661
    Well I'm taking somebody with me and she's pretty good at making sure things are done properly, I'm gonna ask if I can sit and see what's going on, if it's possible, after all it can't hurt and she/he may not even think about changing things after I've gone.... As for not having copies signed etc, I agree this should absolutely be done! 
    Thanks for your help.... 
    If I don't get any joy I will definitely be making copies of everything I send in or fill in in future. Lesson learned
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The assessment is only a functionality assessment, The HCP will be filling in their tick boxes and making brief notes so that they can write the report later.

Have with you your ID, medication list and any additional relevant evidence.

The assessor should show you their ID, if not, ask to see it

You do not need to make any special effort, it is not a date. Take your meds as prescribed, don't take extra but also don't miss out on taking them.

The Assessor has a schedule which they are keen to stick to and will not often deviate. Primarily it is a tick box exercise. You may have a list of questions that you want to ask. The reality is that the assessor can't or won't answer many. The assessor will make notes but the report will be written later

The assessor needs to see you without the coping mechanisms we all use. For many of us with long term conditions this is probably the hardest part of the assessment. Nobody wants to be disabled and do everything we can to hide it. You cannot hide it from the assessor if you want an accurate report. They do not have crystal balls, your job is to show them and explain to them so that they understand what your life is like. If I just told you that the sky is green would you believe me ?

You do deserve the award, you have nothing to hide. Let the HCP do their job and help them to do it correctly.

This is not a guarantee, some will always go wrong and end up going through the appeal process but by laying a good solid foundation will certainly give you yourself every chance of getting the award you deserve

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • jemima661
    Thank you CR. 
    Your reply has helped a lot.... Do you think it's a good idea to get a letter from my friend who knows me best? She's the one who comes around and helps me dress, prep meals and helps me wash parts I can't reach, she takes me shopping and gets me to appointments etc.... She can't come with me, unfortunately, to this assessment x
  • CockneyRebel
    It won't hurt, but the assessor may not read it and might not even take it.
    If you can get it done more formally as a testimonial that would be good

So their letters must include their name and address, they need to explain their relation to the claimant and how often they see them.

Then they need to explain anything they see the claimant do or not do in regard to the relevant benefits activities and any other comments that they have.

Lastly they need to attest that the information that they have provided is correct to the best of their ability.
  • jemima661
    Thank you for your advice... I'll take it all on board. Wish me luck!! 
    L.
  • CockneyRebel
    Of course
    The very best of luck

Whilst you should take account of the post you see on this forum, it's important to understand that whilst many of these are from claimants who are having problems with their claims they actually represent only a small proportion of claims. The reality is that most claims are processed trouble free.

CR
  • jemima661
    Thank you CR. I'm just panicking a bit I think.... I don't know how is cope if they stopped or even reduced my claim. I've been on high mobility on DLA for years. I have rheumatoid arthritis and hypermobility and I'm getting anxious! Lol
  • CockneyRebel
    What ever the outcome we will still be here to support you

CR

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.