Number of bedrooms — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Number of bedrooms

Options
pinemartine
pinemartine Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
Hi, me and my husband recently sent a medical form for applying for council houses. Yesterday we received an award letter. 
My husband has a severe sleeping disorder which includes difficulty sleeping at night, nightmares, sleep fight (punching and kicking in his sleep).
Currently we sleep in different rooms, I sleep in our sitting room and he is in the bedroom. 
We submitted a letter from his sleep clinic doctor which explains his symptoms and needs of separate bedrooms for both of our safety. 
But award letter says we can bid on one bedroomed property. 
We are aware there is a huge lack of council houses but it is impossible for us to sleep in the same room and it would affect to both of our health. 
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pinemartine, thanks for sharing this with us. It must have been really frustrating to hear that, especially as you'd already submitted evidence.

I wonder if @Debbie_Scope could advise? 
  • pinemartine
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I spoke to Citizens Advice. Bureau today and they suggested to appeal to the decision.
    They said we’d better send additional medical evidence with the appeal letter. But I cannot think of any other evidence stronger than his condultant’s letter so I don’t know what to add though. 
    We will send copies of his old medical letters which explain the history and background of his current condition anyway. 
    I will also ask advice from Debbie.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Im so sorry to hear this, you could also consider speaking to your local MP to see if they can help you fight this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • pinemartine
    Options
    Thank you for the comment, Sam. I emailed to the housing department of my council soon after we received the award letter. Because the letter didn’t mention if we can appeal or not.
    We received an reply yesterday and they said they referred his medical form and medical evidence to the medical accessor for reconsideration. 
    We were told by CAV to appeal by writing but it seems like it’s already treated as appeal.  They said the medical assessor comes only every 2weeks and next visit is on the 25th. So we still have time to send additional support documents. I prepared the documents and a cover letter and will post it today. 
    Will let you know the outcome. 
    If the decision doesn’t change, we might need MP’s help...

Brightness