Distance ? Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Distance ? Mobility

april123
april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
How do they work out reliably and  what is the normal unaided persons time by meters ? I have nerve pain perminat and when I walk it can cause shooting pains that stop me full stop. I am trying to work out 50meters with 2 rest in approx 10 mins is acceptable. Is there any where I can find this out. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Enhanced mobility is 20 metres or less for PIP. 20-50 metres is Standard mobility.

Remember if you can't do something reliably, in a timely manner, without pain and discomfort then you're classed as no being able to do it.

As you say 50 metres, think how often you would be able to do this. Could you walk this distance 2-3 times a day without pain? If you can't then you're classed as not being able to do it. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    The guide most often refered to is

Fast walking                  - 90 metres per minute
    Slow walking                 - 60 metres per minute
    very slow walking      - < 45 metres per minute

so if you take 10 minutes to walk 50 metres, that is 5 metres per minute
    Therefore you walk 20 metres in 4 minutes
    The length of time that it take you to cover the distance includes stop and rest time where necessary

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • april123
    I will add this in MR I have doctor call tomorrow will require private letter of evidence on effects of meds and cocktail of pain killers as someone forgot to put it in report along with a few other things let's hope they help as it happened so long ago all medical out of date for them. Will let you know how my MR letter is coming on.

• april123
    So you divide the time it takes, by the distance you walk, to get meters per minute.
    So they take how far you can walk per minute against the average person so it doesn't matter what you think you can walk really in that respeck ?
    So even though I ticked 20/50 would this not be classed as unacceptable in Thier own rule book in reliably as in pain through the out as well. Which is noted in report.
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    In my experience they make it up regardless. I ticked the less than 20m box, the assessor said I slowly but steadily walked 25m, holding onto my husband and crutch and I appeared to be in pain, the dwp assessor said I could walk 50 - 200m, I have absolutely no idea what she’s based her figure on. I’m in constant pain, for each step I take I feel pain like a knife sticking in my back and knees. I stumbled at least twice that I can recall but she didn’t record this as the assessment had finished. My report is a complete work of fiction! 
  • april123
    Sorry to hear that it's just a joke 
  • april123
    @Tigermoth42 did you stop at all in-between, the more I read the more upsetting it is to see so many people being trooden on and not listened to.
  • Tigermoth42
    Hi @april123, thanks for your replies my lovely. On the way in I had to sit down for a while before I walked to the assessment room (which wasn’t that far) and, as I said before, on the way out I stumbled at least twice that I can recall, and had to stop to regain my balance in spite of holding onto my husband and had to stop for a while outside, I just wanted to get out of there to be honest. Had he not been there I may well have fallen, it’s just an awful experience all round. I thought the assessment went well, if ‘well’ can be described as crying through most of the interview, but how wrong I was. I’m waiting on a copy of the assessor’s report as I’m most interested to see what she actually wrote (in spite of knowing that it’s going to upset me further). 
  • april123
    Fingers crossed @Tigermoth42, I'm waiting for a call from doctor today to request medical evidence of meds etc as they have mine wrong plus support on anxiety , 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    HCP's are issued a fishermans  ruler to measure distance walked  :)

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tigermoth42
  • Tigermoth42
    @CockneyRebel mine definitely had one of those! 
  • april123
    I'm still waiting I know I won't called that it's a long day.
  • Tigermoth42
    @april123 if I could cross my fingers for you I would, so I’m metaphorically doing it, hope you get the call and the letter x
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The criterion is how far can you walk not for how long. The time it takes different people to walk 20m for example varies enormously.  Assessors and tribunals ask for how long to try to trip you up.  Always insist on relating time to distance, not give just a time.

At my tribunal I insisted on relating time to distance.  I was awarded enhanced mobility.
  • april123
    Call arrived yesterday at 6pm doctor will do me for letter, one step toward I thought. Husband takes alladetails etc to doctors for me .today, then post man arrives, date to return mobility car etc etc, so two steps back.
  • april123
    When moving across from DLA to PIP and you get award letter but you are requesting MR do they still pay untill they send you there MR report how does it all work.
  • Matilda
    DLA stops 4 weeks after assessment date.  If you have a PIP award this starts 4 weeks after DLA stops.
  • april123
    Will pip rate continue even if you send in letter for MR 
  • Matilda
    Asking for MR makes no difference.  You continue to get PIP.  PIP would only stop if DWP removed your award after MR - but most awards stay the same after MR.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.