I got the brown letter. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I got the brown letter.

sandyp196
sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
Good and bad news. I was awarded pip. The assessor awarded me points that wouod qualify me for Enhanced DL & High RM but the dwp Decisin Maker states in the letter that she reduced the points nd took away the mobility side. I am presently on EDL and LRM. 
I am a bit dissapointed and confused. But I'm relieved to be awarded the EDL as at least it won't trigger any issues with the esa and I'm assuming my esa will now remain the same level too. AM I correct in thinking that? 
I'm not sure if I will appeal as I'm scared to risk the award and iv only lost abut £60 a month. I know we should all appeal so the dwp stop doing this but when it's your own sitiation and quality of life at stake it's hard to make a stand and risk it. 
It's so wrong that to appeal one aspect of the award you have to risk the entire award.  How can they even get away with that?  

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this with us @sandyp196. I'm so glad to hear that you've been awarded PIP, although I can understand your disappointment that the mobility side was removed. If you do decide to appeal and we can be of any assistance, please do let us know.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @sandyp196

Im pleased you finally received your award letter, maybe it’s not what you hoped for but you can appeal if you think you should be entitled to the highest rate.

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    @sandyp196
    congratulations on getting award.I would now check that you are getting all esa premiums you are entitled to.It May make a difference.Cant hurt to look.
    Debsidoo.x
  • sandyp196
    The assessor awarded me 10 points under mobility,  the dwp person reduced it to 4. My mental health team wants me to appeal but I'm scared of losing the rest of the award. I don't understand her reasoning either for reducing my points. I am going to post what she said below. Hopefully someone can make sense of it for me. I previously had mobility low rate and I am much worse now than 3 years ago. The assessor supported this. The dwp didn't.  
  • sandyp196
    Here is the part of the letter that 'explains' why the dwp reduced the assesor points. The assessor scored me 10 points under overwhelming distress. This is true. Under no circumstances can I be outside on my own. I have been banned from every local shop, taxi service and 3 bus routes. Iv even been banned from shopping online at asda.  I get stressed, frightened and I react agressively, one time violently. I can't help it, it's fight or flight and I try to do both.  I'm okay ish with someone else as they communicate on my behalf.
    Tbh I feel luckier than most that I got awarded EDL. II'm not going to starve and I am only losing £80 odd a month. Much less than some. But I jsut don't understand the dwp rationale for overturning thr assessors points. The assessor met me (got bit by my dog although this didn't seem to make a difference after all lol). The dwp haven't met me or come to my home at all.
    I provided evidence of my difficulties outside, which may not be the regular evidence you might send in. I had to give proof of my arrest for affray, public disorder and the names of thr shops and services im banned from entering alone and why. 
    If you saw me you would never think this. I'm 5 foot tall, 7 stone, speak quietly and my core personality is quite shy. But when under duress I can be quite dangerous. I admit this and its why I need help to keep myself and other people safe. 
    Anyways,  that's neither here nor there and just some background. 
    I can manage ok on the EDL. I just don't understand the dwp disagreeing with the assessor.  
  • sandyp196
    Ps I would understand this better if the assesor had awarded me 4 points and I probably would have accepted that and counted myself lucky to qualify for edl, but she awarded me 10 points. The dwp took away the points and I have no clear reason for it .
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sandyp

There seems to be some confusion and contradiction in the report as I read it

Half way down they say you need prompting, which is what they scored you on

At the bottom they have state that you need someone to accompany you, due to overwhelming  anxiety

This may be a genuine mistake by the DM and in the first instance I would try ringing them to point out the discrepancy

Otherwise you will need to go to MR

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sandyp196
    Thank you for your response.  Is there any risk of losing the award at the MR stage? Or do they just say no its staying the same? If so I will risk an MR. I found out this morning after getting the assessor report that she actually scored me 12 points on mobility not 10. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    I totally agree with those contradictions in the decision letter. I'm not sure how the decision maker came to that conclusion. If it was me then i'd also be ringing to speak to a DM about this. if no joy a achieved with that then i'd go down the MR route then Tribunal too. A Tribunal will go hugely in your favour just by reading the award letter.

Fight fight fight and never give up. You may say you're only losing x amount per month but every penny counts and it all adds up. Dont ever give up! Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you do risk losing everything with the MR BUT only 20% of decision's change at that stage so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. At Tribunal if they plan on lowering an existing award then they'd have to inform you of their plans before the hearing. This will then give you the option of canceling the Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sandyp196
    Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Iv agreed with mht that I will query the decision and the confusion.  But if there is any risk I will lose the award I won't appeal any further (altho I won't tell the dwp that). I can't cope with the stress it would involve.  My mental health is very fragile and the edl is enough for me to live on and still afford taxis. If I got refused pip I would have fought it all the way because I would have to. I couodnt look after myself on job seekers as I would be constantly sanctioned for not turning up or meeting criteria as that happened all the time until I got put on esa. It even hapoened on esa while I was in the wraG group. (I was actually banned from the job centre at one point too for agressive behaviour as it stressed me out so much just getting there). 
    They try and force people to do things they are not able to do, but sometimes a person can't do it at all even if it means starving and living in the dark and cold with bailing banging the windows anD doors. I know because I lived like that because I couodnt meet the demands of the dwp! 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.