Pip For Mental Health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip For Mental Health

JustJan
JustJan Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I was wondering if anyone has won a pip tribunal for mental health. I have aspects of high functioning autism. Schizotypal, impulsivity, borderline and dependant personality disorder. Also paranoid schizoid and avoidant. My tribunal was recently ajourned due to them wanting my medical records. I have difficulty answering questions without going round the long route of explaining everything. The person i have been allocated from the law centre made me really confused with questioning... i was answering and he kept saying wait for the question...where are you going with this,its not relevant when i felt what i was saying was relevant. He wanted black and white answers but not everyday is black and white. Im starting to think i have wasted a year and perhaps maybe i should give up. Its caused me so much stress.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately no one can answer that question for you because PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Everyone is different, what might affect 1 person may not affect another. Hopefully it won't be too much longer now. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi JustJan

You have got this far so don't give up now. The tribunal has not given up on you or they wouldn't have asked for your records.

As poppy says PIP is about how you are affected funtionaly

Have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

This might give you an Idea of what is asked

Good luck and come back and let us know how you get on

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • JustJan
    I was all ready for my tribunal. It was on the morning of the day of the tribunal i first met the guy from the law centre who was representing me,i hadnt been in with him five mins when he was called out to be told it was going to be ajourned. He seemed very annoyed that it had been ajourned,saying oh you neednt have came in if it was going to be cancelled. He was then firing questions at me about hypothetical situations and when i went to say what i wanted he was like WAIT FOR THE QUESTION,he was really confusing me which has put me off.
  • CockneyRebel
    That does not sound like a good rep to me. I know it is very difficult to get representation, is it possiblle to get another meeting with him before the hearing takes place ? A good rep should help with your confidence and at the moment that does not seem to be the case

CR

• JustJan
    That was the first time i got to see him to prepare my case on the same day as the tribunal,im really hoping i get someone else when i get a new date. I have had 2 tribunals before for my esa and the 2 people that represented me were really good but this one is not good because he was confusing me.i dont think i can ask for someone else because they are so busy which is why i didnt get to see anyone until the actual day of the tribunal.
  • CockneyRebel
    They may be busy but it is your claim, try talking to the law centre and tell them how you feel

CR
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    JustJan said:
    I was wondering if anyone has won a pip tribunal for mental health. I have aspects of high functioning autism. Schizotypal, impulsivity, borderline and dependant personality disorder. Also paranoid schizoid and avoidant. My tribunal was recently ajourned due to them wanting my medical records. I have difficulty answering questions without going round the long route of explaining everything. The person i have been allocated from the law centre made me really confused with questioning... i was answering and he kept saying wait for the question...where are you going with this,its not relevant when i felt what i was saying was relevant. He wanted black and white answers but not everyday is black and white. Im starting to think i have wasted a year and perhaps maybe i should give up. Its caused me so much stress.

Hello, I'm exactly like you in a way. I talk for ages going round and round but never getting to the point of the question. I can understand why your advisor is saying these things, but they are not actually helping you. It is so easy to talk yourself out of a PIP award even when they have not asked a specific question. You think what you are saying is relevant but no one else does and that's the problem. What I would also say is you are one very lucky person to get representation. It's hard enough for others to even get advice or help in filling out the forms. I have never had a Tribunal, but for the face to face assessments I have had to go it alone as well as having to complete all of the forms without any help. Just understand that you should listen to the question and if you understand it just give a simple answer and FINISH there! SLOW down.
  • JustJan
    Thank you for your reply. Im glad im not the only one that does that,also go the other way where i cant find the words and stumble,stutter and freeze. All i can do is wait and see what happens next. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JustJan
    edited April 2018
    I have'nt been before the tribunal yet. Its my representative that was confusing me
  • [Deleted User]
  • JustJan
    They are  so stretched,i think you just get who your given 
  • [Deleted User]
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I've definitely seen posts on various forums saying that people have gotten PIP for mental health. Most assessors don't know much about MH, alas, and they often have very weird ideas about it. People with OCD asked how often they wash their hands, for example, when that isn't one of their compulsions; people being judged not to be anxious because they're not rocking back and forth (I actually did catch myself doing that several times in my assessment, although I've never done it before due to anxiety. Didn't matter, the HP said I didn't seem anxious.)

I recommend that you go through each of the activities that you want the Tribunal to look at. Figure out how your mental health affects your function for each one (you probably did this for your application and MR). Write down bullet points for each one. Ask someone else to look at them and see if they can make them shorter. Bring the paper into the Tribunal, and explain that you need it because you have problems with getting to the point, etc. Then you can check your paper whenever you answer a question, and if the answer is there, just read out the bullet points. Then explain anything extra that they've asked about.

Hope that helps!

Good luck! You can do this!
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Lots of people claim PIP successfully for mental health. My daughter claims Enhanced for both for mental health. Like i said, you can't compare 2 people though. It's all about how those conditions affect you and whether those descriptors apply to you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JustJan
    Thank  you everyone for your replies. I will post how it went.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.