PIP tribunal waiting time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP tribunal waiting time

pinemartine
pinemartine Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
Hi, my husband sent a request for PIP tribunal in end of June. he received a letter dated 25/Aug which says they sent his appeal papers and a further evidence (he sent his medical diary as an additional evidence) to people involved in the appeal. 
I am wondering how long he has to wait for the actual hearing. 
I might have to go home to look after my mum in Nov for a few weeks and I am worried hearing might happen while I am away.
 By the way, my husband has a representative who works for an authorized charity organization and the representative will attend to the hearing with my husband.
I looked up how long other people had to wait but it seems various according to the area and so on (we are in London).
Should I inform to Tribunal Service the period I am away or doesn't it matter as I am not his representative?
Please advice.  

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    As you are not his representative it dosen't matter other than for moral support.
    As to how long it does vary, might not be this side of christmas

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @pinemartine

I live in London and had to wait five and a half months for my PIP Tribunal Hearing.  Tribunal Service told me to give dates I wouldn't be available for six months ahead.   Somewhere in papers you've receive from Tribunal it will tell you to give dates appellant or their rep won't be available for a certain time ahead.
  • pinemartine
    Thank you for the advice. Yes, there was a question about inconvinient dates in the application. He stated all the dates of his hospital appointments at that time, but lots more hospital appointments are ahead now because of his new symptoms. Also he has to attend to my visa appreciation interview (it would be really unlucky if the hearing happens on the exactly same date though...).
    I wish somehow we can update the inconvenient dates as we all have to wait for such a long time for hearing.
  • Matilda
    @pinemartine

Just write to the Clerk to the Tribunal and give them the new dates as they become known.  That's what I did.
  • pinemartine
    We are going to write a letter to the clerk with a list of the dates he cannot attend. Thank you for the advice.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi pinemartine, 

There are so many appeals at the moment that there is a significant backlog. In the West Midlands where I work waiting times for PIP appeals have just gone up to 22 weeks from the date the appeal was received. I agree with the previous advice, you can continue to update the tribunal with unavailable dates when necessary and they will make sure they avoid those dates, and with a representative on board and further evidence sent in, your husband appears to have prepared in the best way. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• andyrfennell
    andyrfennell Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I live in Manchester I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the waiting time in my area for a tribunal
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi andyrfennell,

Your best course of action is phoning the tribunals service. They will tell you how long your appeal has been in the system and the waiting time for your area.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• sophieregan25
    sophieregan25 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello there I am still  waiting .for my pip I been waiting for 56 weeks for my appeal and I still havent had a answer could u help me please  because don't it only take 22 weeks but mine have taken so long and they say the longer u wait it is better waiting that long in it u got more chance of getting the pip 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi sophieregan and welcome

The length of time varies with area, You can ring the tribunal clerk for an update on waiting time in your area.
    There is no relationship between time waited and success, only when your case is heard will an answer be had

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • sophieregan25
    I live in Wales and thru told me the longest it will take is 12 weeks then it when to 22 weeks but I been waiting for 56 weeks and I spoke to loads of people and they told me the longer u wait the better because I have a big back dated money it not the money I am on about I want the answer because I am really badly I'll I have epilepsy, learning difficultes, artistic asburgus ,ADHD ,depression and anxiety cuve to spine and IBS  and now also asmatic,  so I should be having it was ment to have DLA for life but they changed me over to pip and now I go in to do appeal and it taken this long can u answer my question why 
  • Matilda
    PIP isn't awarded for your conditions themselves but how they affect you on a daily basis.
  • sophieregan25
    It do affect me day to day I carnt cook or feed my self and much more I don't leave my house and when I do I have a break down 
  • Matilda
    Then you have got a good case.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • sophieregan25
    Yeah I am hopeing because when I did a mandatory reconsideration they give me mobility for 1 year  so I put in for appeal for both and still waiting told me it with the tribunal court this was 56 weeks ago so hopefully I will hear from them soon beacuse my day to day daily basis is killing me carnt cook got to have my partner to cook for me and prompt me to bath because with my illness are getting worse if I try to cook I set the fire arlam off I burn stuff and something I burn people don't believe me  I am so I literate with  things ? Could u tell me if there is a strong chance or no chance but is it true waiting a longer time is a good chance could u reply please
  • Matilda
    As CR has said, the length of time you wait for your hearing makes no difference.  

This is what I posted recently on another thread.  Some of it might be relevant to your appeal.

Last May I won my PIP tribunal appeal.

The panel are only interested in what you can and can't do.  They are looking for indications of difficulty with walking and with daily living.

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling.  Tribunal hearings are supposed to be inquisitorial.  Panel might asked challenging questions. 

Don't argue with the judge!

Panel based most of their questions on the 7 day diary I submitted.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  Always relate time to distance as just saying you can walk for X seconds or minutes without stating the distance might be interpreted as meaning you can walk farther than in fact you are able to.  Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

Doc asked how far from my front door was my car parked.

Disability person asked about the aids I use.  Use of aids of course is evidence of disability.  Asked about my difficulties preparing food and eating.  I have adapted cutlery and adapted veg peeler.

Judge and disability person asked if I use a disabled toilet when out.

The judge and doctor both seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of daily needs disability (strength, stamina).  Don't drive yourself to the hearing; take a taxi if necessary.  I only take a few short car journeys each week.

Don't dress up, wear clothes with few fastenings, minimal jewellery and, if you are female, minimal make-up.  People, including tribunals, are very influenced by what they can actually see for themselves on the day!

You can send in more evidence up to 7 days before the hearing date but tribunal would be unwilling to accept more than two pages of A4 on the day.

Suitable additional evidence would be evidence of how your disabilities affect you on a daily basis: daily living and mobility.  Tribunal don't want to know about PIP legislation as they should already know that.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP and they publish a Handbook that has a detailed account of appeal hearing proceedings.  You have to buy the latter but I found it worth the money.  The 2018-19 edition isn't published until May but they might still have copies of the 2017-18 edition.  I understand the 2016-17 is on e-bay cheap.  Advice on appeal hearings isn't likely to change much.

• mistralman
    mistralman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi all!
    Came across this site whist looking for the waiting time for my partners PIP tribunal court hearing in Wiltshire area. 
    She was told by the court today that the average time is 39 weeks.  She is 16 weeks into it, so some way to go.
      :neutral:
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @mistralman!
  • Kafoleg
    Kafoleg Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Thank you Pipp_Scope x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.