Is it not possible for a hearing impaired individual to claim for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it not possible for a hearing impaired individual to claim for PIP?

Richard1989
Richard1989 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone. I'm a new user on Scope, and I'm hoping to get some advice on claiming for PIP.

My story is that this isn't my first attempt to claim for PIP after my DLA benefit was dropped, and I have to admit that my first claim was not as informative as I should have been when it came to my disability and mental health, and thus my PIP claim and appeal was denied.

I've recently made a new claim after being denied help from an organisation that didn't live up to it's name, and this time with as much cut-throat information as I could provide regarding about my severe-to-profound hearing loss, my social anxiety and lack of social life, Aspergers, thoughts and incidents of self-harm, underactive thyroids, and so on. I was also given an examination after handing in the new claim, but I don't expect to receive PIP in spite of my better efforts.

Anyway, to get straight to the question I've been wanting to ask Scope, is it not possible for a hearing-impaired individual to claim for PIP? Would I need to have other serious preexisting conditions to earn the rights for PIP?

Thank you for your time.
---
Richard.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Richard and welcome

PIp is a test of functionallity
    Have a look at the B&W self test to get an idea of what is required

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Richard1989, welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

As CR says, PIP is awarded on the basis of how your condition affects your life, rather than the condition itself. Do check out the self-test CR linked above, and the online benefits calculator may also be helpful in working out your potential entitlement. Have a look, and do come back to us with any questions!
  • Richard1989
    Richard1989 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the responses.

I have done the online benefits calculator and worked out my final score, and from a personal view I would have enough points to earn the standard rate at least.

That being said, I'm aware that it's not the same as the official score once the officials review my new claim and decide upon a score for my case. I'll just have to be patient and come back once I get a reply from PIP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.