What to do next — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What to do next

lixsharp13
lixsharp13 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Everyone. Could anyone tell me what happens if i make a new pip claim please? Ive been on standard for a year and appealed it but i lost my appeal. However the judge did say he can see my needs are greater than at the time of my assesmentl.  Is there a chance if i reapply i may lise the standard rate i was awarded last year? Also will they stop it from the date i reapply until ive had another assesment and a decision has been made? And finally will it be held against me that i appealled at a Tribunal?  I will be very grateful for any info/advice 
Liz

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Liz

Do you have an award in payment at the moment ?
    If so then you can only put in a change of circumstance if you have a new or worstened condition which will mean a new f2f

Any award in payment will continue until a new decisionis made

If you don't have an award in payment then there is no waiting time

Appealing to tribunal will not be held against you

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lixsharp13
    lixsharp13 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi CR
    Thanks for your reply. Yes i was awarded standard rate last April after a f2f. I believed i was entitled to enhance rate so i appealed and had the tribunal last week and lost. I have chronic kidney disease stage 3/4. I have vey poor vision an Odema. This makes it v difficult to get around . I need help with all daily activities and my conditions have got worse since my last f2f. I know i should ring and tell them about change of circumstances but i dont know if i could go through it all again especially after the bad experience at Tribunal. Thanks again for your advice
    Liz
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Liz

The decision is yours of course, the official line is any change of circumstance to be reported.
    You do have the advantage of knowing what to expect

When is your current award due for review ?

CR
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CockneyRebel
    Is working as a delivery driver in conflict with the reasons you were awarded PIP ?

Has your condition improved to the extent that you no longer qualify for your current award ?

Has your Health care professional advised that your condition has improved ?

Do you think your condition has improved so that you no longer need to claim PIP ?

As PIP is a non means tested benefit, working full or part time has no bearing on whether you are entitled to it
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Another side issue that could exist. If you have managed to circumvent some of the difficulties of the past by changing how you live does that constitute a change of circumstances even though those difficulties are still there its just that you have adapted to them?
    Much like having to shower using a seat as getting in and out of a bath is impossible or as in my case, refusing to go to large towns and their shops but using online store purchases instead.
  • CockneyRebel
    We all apapt andfind coping mechanisms, we become experts in hiding our problems but underneath they are still there and real. A change of circumstance in black and white would be some one with a broken leg that cannot walk, then when it has mended there is a change in circumstance

CR
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    We all apapt andfind coping mechanisms, we become experts in hiding our problems but underneath they are still there and real. A change of circumstance in black and white would be some one with a broken leg that cannot walk, then when it has mended there is a change in circumstance

CR

Thanks, very informative.
    So a change in circumstances is really a 'black and white' event as you have described. 
    But that doesn't fit with the arguments put forward by the DWP that if you have an aid, beit an electric bath lift & shower seat, grab rail around the toilets or maybe something as simple as a grab rail attached to the side of the bed they will assume that the previous difficulties have been down graded. I have had that argument when I disclosed to the DWP that recently (within the past two years, Social Services have supplied all of the above for my home.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.