Who called my consultant — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who called my consultant

kah22
kah22 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
When we got our award back, 11 points, we are going to MR

Anyway in the DM’s ‘How I made my decision,’  it was stated:  I looked at the information available to me, including:

• the “How your disability affects you” form
  • the information provided by the letter from your psychiatrist
  • the information provided by the telephone advice from your psychiatrist

This last point confuses and intrigues me.

Confuses me because I’m not 100 percent certain who made the telephone call the DM or the HP.  I’m assuming the HP.

Intrigues me because I wonder what we’re the qualifications of the person making the call. Was it recorded or were there just hand made notes taken.

It’s Capita that carried out the assessment and it was paper based .

Can anyone tell me what is the protocol where the HP/DM phone a doctor or consultant are the calls recorded and does the doctor get a set of whatever notes or recordings were made?

As always thanks for any advice

Kevin

     

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kah22
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the reply Victoriad. Does that not open up a whole can of worms or not?

What are the DM medical credentials, I certainly would love to see how he makes decisions on complicated mental conditions, when even the doctors get it hard to decide where the patient is heading! What questions were asked, how long did the telephone call last?

Surely any medical advice given by a professional about their patient should appear on their medical records. If only because there might be a potential mal practise case against the doctor if wrong information was given

While I’m far from been a lawyer I would think that if I am to go to a Tribunal I’m entitled to see ALL the information the DM used when making his call and if he can’t supply it then. . . . . ?

That could be very valuable information for claimants
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Why are people concerned about the qualifications of the DM.
    When it was paperbased only, I don't recall this being an issue. 
    The DM doesn't need to be medically qualified they are assessing the claimants evidence. Does a condition you claim to have exist, if yes, how is your day affected/ effected by the rest of your evidence.

If the DM calls my gp it would be to ascertain that A) I am actually their patient B) what conditions am I known to have. Thats it. 
    They won't know how you struggle or not day to day.

The advice I believe is in relation to how long to give you the award, based on if it's going to be present or changed. You can download a pdf that tells you about that part.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • whistles
    Sorry it's not understanding B and is deciding on a face.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    That makes sense. 

I actually don't see anyone accept my gp. That's a good thing and I have come off two meds, another good thing. 
    I get the payment thing for my own services- forgotten the name!! 
    So I am supported already. 
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I agree with the poster. Nothing should be secret from the person it is about. It's really sinister to say the claimant is not entitled to know what the doctor, consulant etc told the dwp.  Why shouldn't they know. It is about them. I understand doctor etc don't have time to give feedback but if the dwp are asking for personal information from health care staff then the dwp should be required to tell the claimant what information was given to them - if the person wants to know. Not everyone does. I wouodnt be bothered knowing unless I got refused a benefit. Then I would definitely want to know! 
  • [Deleted User]
  • kah22
    There are several issues here, which I think are important

Let’s say for the sake of argument your son was charged by the police for some crime or other that could affect the rest of their life.  That there was one bit of evidence they received from his doctor that they wouldn’t hand over. How would you feel then? It’s the same thing, that one bit of evidence, might and I say might, could be what will give the claimant that few points  more that could make all the difference to your overall quality of life!

There is also the question as to whether or not you trust your DWP when 69 percent of those going to appeal have the DWP’s decisions overturned!  And complaints against the DWP statistics  show that the number of complaints that were upheld rose by 713% in the same year from 67 in 2015 to 546 in 2016 to 2017   You May like to read  THIS

Then there is the questions of confidentially and reliability. Let’s assume I’ve chronic arthritis but otherwise I’m quite healthy. I receive my pain killers on repeat prescriptions and I haven’t seen my doctor in 2 years, within that time I’ve really slowed down and do need help and support, and a mobility car. The DWP phone the doctor to ask if I’ve chronic arthritis and could walk 20 meters (note I didn’t say unaided, would the DWP?) and he honestly says YES.  But I can’t and yet because I don’t know what the DM asked I can’t challenge it.  My cars gone, I’m house bound.

Ill not bother mentioning the recent court case where the government were found to be blatantly discrimining against those with mental conditions. You probably know the story anyway

For some people PIP might just be a bit of iceing on the cake but for others it could mean the difference between surviving and living. That my view anyway

Kevin
  • [Deleted User]
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Victoriad said:
    It’s nothing to do with being sinister.

There is also the concept held by many in the medical and associated professions that there are times that it IS in the patients best interests to withhold information if they think that information may harm the well being of the patient.

I think thats patronising and it does harm the patient if their financial assisitance is refused or withdrawn and they are not entitled to access the information the decision was based on.
    But nothing sinister about that at all...

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • kah22
    The problem is it was a phone call.  We had no difficulty ticking the box giving the DM and HP authority to medical records.  If it’s on paper that fine but if it was a simple phone call would the consultant record or remember it?  But you are right we should contact him and we have put in a SAR request

Kevin
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.