PIPS Decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIPS Decision

kpeters
kpeters Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am spina bifida/hydrocephalus patient, yesterday I received my PIPS assessment decision.
i have been on higher rate DLA for many years and have had a Motabilty car.
i received middle rate carers DLA as well.
my Assessment shows I have standard rate care and standard rate mobility.
i also have arthritis in my knee.
when I walk, my back hurts because of the spina bifida and my knee hurts because of the arthritis, however arthritis pain is controlled by pain killers.
when I had the assessment the assessor asked how long I could walk which was about 2 mins but at slow pace of which he could see.
From that they have somehow judged I can walk 20 metres with pain in knees controlled by painkillers.
how can they judge the distance when they don’t measure speed against time.
if that makes sense..
this also only refers to my knees not my back!!!
where does that leave me as far as Motabilty car?
i cannot afford to buy a car and cannot use public transport due to disabilities..
how would I get to work?
cant work without Motabilty car...

Comments

• longhairmama
    longhairmama Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I too, was told I could walk 20 metres in their decision, even though it was obviously painful for me to walk at all, therefore they have downgraded me to standard mobility even though I have more problems with mobility than when I was first awarded enhanced mobility. I am going to appeal
  • Madworld
    Madworld Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    @kpeters They did the same to me, answered my questions with their own answers i was on standard and they kicked me off now when im worse than i was, I too am appealing. Apparently this is really common right now, theres people reporting lying assessors everywhere and theres a video on youtube of someome working for bbc secretly recording an assessor who admits he and his assessor friends tend to wiz through assessments due to making more money because each assessment is 350 pounds until they do more than 14 and the money goes up they also admit to getting as many people off pip as they can. I suggest anyone with a future assessment records it because this is happening like crazy right now 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your next step is to ask for the mandatory reconsideration, and you have 1 month do request this. If you havent got a copy of the assessment report then ring DWP to ask them to send this to you. You need to state in the letter what you disagree with and put what you think you should have scored. They will look at the whole award again, so you do risk losing everything you already have.

As for your mobility car then i'm afraid that will have to be returned because you can't have a mobility car on Standard mobility, only with Enhanced mobility. Motability will be in touch with you to tell you what you need to do next. Depending on how long you've had a mobility vehicle then there maybe a transitional protection payment available to you, this payment is £2000 if you've been with them since before 2013. See this link.
    https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/personal-independence-payment/unsuccessful-reassessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Always relate time to distance, for example if it takes you 2 mins to walk up to 20m, say so.  Never just give a time without distance or assessors will use this as an excuse to 'estimate' you can walk farther than in fact you can.

Assessors go out of their way to put people in the standard mobility category even though they meet enhanced criteria.  My assessor decided that because she watched me walk 16m indoors then I must be able to walk 20m - 50m outdoors.  Of course, this is ridiculous and at appeal I was awarded enhanced mobility.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.