In full time employment - any benefits I can get? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In full time employment - any benefits I can get?

dawdic
dawdic Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there I am in full time employment is there any benefits I can get while working as I have osteoarthritis and have had both hips renewed if anything it will get worse over the yrs to come I am a bus driver 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dawdic Pleased to meet you welcome

In answer to you question have you looked at speaking to our advisors @BenefitsTrainingCo They may able to answer your question.

Also take at look at the benefits what am I entitled to .

Please look to speak to our community under Employment, Finances and Disability Benefits for other information and advice.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @dawdic, welcome to the community!

Are you already receiving Personal Independence Payment? We have some information about PIP that you might find useful, and you can take a PIP self-test to see if you might be eligible.

You can also use a benefits calculator to find what else you might be eligible for. I hope this helps :)
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    You might be able to get Local Housing Allowance or Council Tax Reduction if you have capital of less than £16,000.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    while i was working full time i was getting pip and was told by CAB my wages wouldn't affect my pip.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    dawdic,

As others have said, you can get PIP when you are working full-time. It's a benefit for the extra costs of disability, not connected to work.

You could check the self-test here to see if you score enough points to get PIP on your own assessment. If not, then unfortunately as you say things will get worse for you, it may be worth trying again in a couple of years.

You might be able to get help with the council tax (council tax reduction or council tax support), but it will depend on your income and all your circumstances. Lasian's suggestion of the benefit calculator is a good one.

Whilst housing benefit might be possible, I'd be careful about claiming that - in some areas, you would have to claim Universal Credit instead & I would want you to get proper, individual advice about that before deciding what to do.

So for now, I'd say PIP is the main thing worth checking.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.