Home assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home assessment

theresa73
theresa73 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi  had my home assessment today   it should of been between 11-1 but he didn't turn up till 1.45.  Don't think it went well.. he was concentrating on how do i drive if I can't walk..  the whole thing was very confusing... to many questions thrown at you and you are made feel really stupid when he is asking "well why cant you cook and clean"  I just felt total useless..  I won't hold my breath about it..  I don't think you are supposed to drive if your disabled. ?

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Well i was told that it takes great strength and great powers of thought to drive a car, i sent my MR back and said if thats the case why do thousands of disabled people drive on motability if thats the case.?
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    You cannot second think what an assessor is going to say you might think it did not go well and get a good outcome or you might think that all went well and get a bad outcome like me
  • theresa73
    I'm devastated that he laughed when he asked about my mental health. He said did I have any thought of self harm or suicide so I told him i have and seeing a councillor cor it  then he asked if my daughter knew who was sat there   and by that point he could tell by the tears rolling down my face and the way I froze that she didnt know and when I nodded no  he just laughed and said she does now.  I'm absolutely gutted.
  • thefainthearted
    thefainthearted Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    You need to stand up to that cretin and make a formal complaint!
    You have a witness, your daughter..he has nothing to stand on..report the little b&%%£r!
  • theresa73
    I have phoned PIP they said they would send a complaints form out.. he was very rude  not only did he have a 2 hr window to arrive but he was 45 mins late and didn't even state his name..  I never asked for a home assessment but i assumed because i am on crutches that's what he was there for  but never even asked about my knee just concentrated on what I went in my car for ..   I'd be afraid if I complained that it would jeopardise my case  x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Well i was told that it takes great strength and great powers of thought to drive a car, i sent my MR back and said if thats the case why do thousands of disabled people drive on motability if thats the case.?

Probably because there is nothing wrong with their thought processing, no metal health issues and no other physical problems other than having the problem of not being able to walk. In fact I know one ex squaddie that did a couple of tours of the 'gan' Last one saw both his legs blown clean off - he can drive a car but has difficulty walking.
    When I am asked the standard question - do I drive. The answer is no I don't, but I could if the DWP would give me back my licence.
  • theresa73
    They just want to take any independence away from us. If I didn't have a car I couldn't get to school but that's no concern to them.  When asked if I could do simple exercises  I stated that I can with my left side but anything on my right side has no chance and when he told me to stand I said iv been sat her that long that iv seized up so he said so are you gunna sit there all day then.   I wanted to wrap my crutches around his head  cheeky sod... x
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Good luck with the complaint @theresa73 That's horrible what he did.
  • theresa73
    Thankyou.. I'm just so numb..  I knew they could be sods but i didnt think they would literally laugh at metal health  in front of your face.. x
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Neither did i. He should be ashamed of himself but i doubt he is.

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    None of them care the assessors have a big say in what points your likely to get. I was annoyed because they did not have any idea what my illnesses were.
    Im still waiting for my MR Decision but to be honest i wont hold my breath.

• thefainthearted
    thefainthearted Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Even if they deny your claim - keep fighting! they want us all to give in...dont let them win...
  • theresa73
    I was stupid enough to give him drivers license for id.. I don't know why I opened my big trap about driving.. I did say that I only drive twice a week  with my cusion in the car with me..   I noticed he was asking the same question differently to see if he could catch me out.. now im going over it all im realising I could of trripped myself up a few times..  they are bloody clever x
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi theresa73
    Is your car an automatic if so you may be able to point out to them that it is easier than driving a manual. 
       Debsidoo.x
  • theresa73
    Im not a nervous reck when im in my car I don't need anyone to help me to drive my car they are with me to help me with my crutches when I get in or out of it. I never take meds if I drive so I am always aware of my surroundings.  It don't say on him computer to laugh when he talks about my PTSD that is just dam right rude.. he was supposed to be there for my physical state.. I know the computer dictates the questions but doesn't dictate to be an arragont rude sod.. 
  • theresa73
    It's not automatic. Iv torn a ligament in my knee last year but because i have antiphospholipid syndrome they won't operate so I have to get back to living independently so it's took me a while to learn to drive my car  but i can manage on short journeys now. Just can't walk properly and I drive  only on a good day.. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @theresa73 Sorry what has happened to you assessment. First thing I do understand this situation.  The assessments at the moment seem to me at this present time have been so scathing and unnecessarily harsh.

To make the person who is being assessed feel intimidated and embarrassed, humiliated.

This is the reason why may I say that after doing these for twenty years plus on and off. I have to say learnt and know what is it is going on.

First thing I would do make a complaint against the person assessing you.

Second thing, please can I ask always have some body independent to sit with you. Understand this gone with friends and walked over.

Understand it is fantastic have family member great but they are not only get chastised but as I said treated indifference.

Gone with health worker, support worker, welfare support any body. Totally changed the attitude and demeanour.

Remember none of this is your fault. This is the Governments job employing these people.

First time went to interview assessment was about early nineties when receiving benefits.  For a review

This old Doctor on your own he uttered.  I still recall what I said even now. Sorry could not bring a welfare lawyer with me.

His face see it now dropped no lawyer here son. Son, I made a complaint straight away. His attitude everything.  About the assessment.

Time has not changed. Understand CAPITA and ATOS  all under pressure and scrutiny. Because of reports from Governments cross parties committees.  What the hell is going on.  All out there and these people are up against it. Realising now what we are all about and what we are dong now to the system. Making waves, making arguments.

Remember been through loads of these. Been through nightmares scenario's of having benefit stopped one month  changes, then back after a year told unfit to work.  Eighteen months later fit and then unfit continuous.

You need to be strong, you need to be positive. You did nothing wrong.

Recall last few years need support worker to answer questions. Assessors asked me several but make it short.

Stopped me several times these assessors.  Why do need support worker or other support. Told the truth and be honest but at the same time 

Simple short answers. Write down what you wish to say. Have a simple ideas of what you want to say.

All I can say try not to worry keep appealing and try please be positive. You reading from an experienced gentleman who has been through hell.

It is continuing for me as it will for others.

I know am in support group ESA at the moment. Got sometime PIP maybe but on old DLA.

Have the knowledge and experience to deal with this.

Wish you well and am here to listen.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Why tell them that you did drive?
    in fact why tell them that you even hold a licence.
    its got absolutely nothing to do with the assessor
    i personally think people go wrong because they say too much.
    just keep to facts
    the problem with these assessments is that the soft ware is asking the question, assessor typing in answer and it’s then asking another question because it’s digging abit deeper.
    abit like cooking- can you cook a meal- answer no.
    anymore questions to do with cooking are no I don’t cook at all now please move on.

Are you actually suggesting that when the assessor asks you if you drive (which is a normal question for obvious reasons) you would say no whereas the truth is that you do? Would you suggest any further lies that you may tell them?
    As for your cooking answer if you actually tell the assessor what you have written in your last sentence could well be seen as you not fully co-operating. 
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    Why tell them that you did drive?
    in fact why tell them that you even hold a licence.
    its got absolutely nothing to do with the assessor
    i personally think people go wrong because they say too much.
    just keep to facts
    the problem with these assessments is that the soft ware is asking the question, assessor typing in answer and it’s then asking another question because it’s digging abit deeper.
    abit like cooking- can you cook a meal- answer no.
    anymore questions to do with cooking are no I don’t cook at all now please move on.

Are you actually suggesting that when the assessor asks you if you drive (which is a normal question for obvious reasons) you would say no whereas the truth is that you do? Would you suggest any further lies that you may tell them?
    As for your cooking answer if you actually tell the assessor what you have written in your last sentence could well be seen as you not fully co-operating. 
    @llilybelle @yadnad And fraud 
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @lillybelle  I have to disagree with the questions just popping up on software, my assessor said they need no questions or answers on my mental health they had all the information they needed ,she said the questions I will be asking you is to do with the mobility part of your claim.and this was from DLA to PIP.Or do you mean the questions are ramdom 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.