awful situation with pip assesor — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

awful situation with pip assesor

okehmelc
okehmelc Community member Posts: 24 Connected
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi my name is Melvin Clapton im 64 years old i live in taffs well near cardiff  i am breifly going to outline my experience woith a capita assessor and hopefully get some comments back on what i can do about the awful situation im in please excuse puntuation and spelling 

i applied for pip nearly two years ago and went to a face to face assesmant at capita my assesmant was terminated after 15 minutes as the assesor said  i swore which was totally untrue my partner was with me to verify i didnt she is a long standing civil servant of 16 years and she was appalled by the assessors attitude as was i at no time did either of us swear as acussed. we made a complaint to capita on several points and which on there reply failed awnser those points just a summarry from the assesors point what had happened. following there reply i made a sars request on everything they held on me in information. i was shocked to find the complaints team had held information back from me and complaints team, failed to investigate with information they had asked for from a receptionist at capita to what went on in reception after my assesmant was terminated i had asked the assesor for her name so i could make a complaint which she gave me and then we left .it now comes to light that the receptionist sais she was sat in the kitchen eating and was listenng to my assesmant withe assesor as you can hear whats bieng said. from the kitchen as we did not swear or used raise voices the girl said and i quote( i can very much recall that the claimant during the appintment was very hostile and verbally aggressive to the assessor  name calling and belittling the assessor as a person and a health care proffesional ) there is a lot more said than this which it is clear that the assessor clearly discussed what went on with the  receptionist. the manager who had asked for this information totally disregarded this long statement from the receptionist presumably because its a breach of confidentiality or it comes undr datata protection dont no which to be honest this information was recieved from capita under a sars request as i said so i rang capita complaints yesterday saying i was making a further complaint because of this new information the woman from the complaints team admitted you could hear whats said if your sitting in the kitchen but its not a breach of confidentiality in there opinion and they wont be reveiwing it  i explained to her as that capita arnt providing a safe and secure enviorment for claimants if anybody can listen in + is it  right for assessors to discus my case with a receptionist after my assesmant was terminated i didnt think it was which she didnt comment but for a complaints team member to admit that assesmants can be heard in my opinion is an absolute disgrace and it goes on day in and day out  any comments on this please im fuming that these people show blatant disregard for privacy im totally shocked ( what can i do about this as this is happening to other people as we speak there assesmant can be heard by others as capita admit

please can anybody advise where to go to rectify this problem it seems to me that the assesor and receptionist fabricated the lie about me swearing between them in my opinion dwp have sent me further appointments to attend another face to face which ive refused to attend because of this awful situation and are now threating to shut down my case after two years unless they get a letter from my doctor with a reason why i cant attend its totally disgusting

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @okehmelc
    Welcome to the community and Im sorry to hear you have had a tough time. It does sound quite complex, have you considered speaking to the CAB?

For legal advice, you could look at The Law Centre and it could be worth speaking to your MP too.

Im sorry I don't have an answer for you, but the community is here to chat with and maybe someone has been in a similar situation and can share.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @okehmelc

It sounds a dreadful experience. I would call or write to your MP and also CAB as @Sam_Scope says.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • okehmelc
    edited May 2018
    my main concern at the moment is not the fact of my case as i can only carry on with my complaint and as you no this takes time the point im trying to make is anybody bieng assessed in that office can be heard from the kitchen by any capita staff as in my case when i phoned complaint team yeserday the woman admited you can hear when in the kitchen capita say its not a breach of confidentiality and when reported to dwp  they wernt interested so is it the dwp are not interested in how there emloyees namely capita behave during assesments i think this is very serious i dont no if anybody else agrees please can someone comment on this thank you it needs stopping now before anybody else gets affected by it

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @okehmelc

It says on the capita website:

A trained Disability Assessor will look at all the information you have provided to DWP as part of the application process. We may supplement this information by asking for further evidence from the contacts you have provided. Please be assured, we will treat all information in the strictest confidence and in line with data protection laws.

And here is some info about data protection.

But this is a legal matter and so it's hard for us to comment, For legal advice, The Law Centre can be really helpful and as I said speaking to your MP  can get you another point of view.

Let us know how you get on.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • okehmelc
    thank you for advice and i will contact the law society tomrrow i have to carry on withe update on my previous complaint against the assessor with the new evidence from the sars request which im doing i have my evidence in writing the phone call we made yesterday at first i was cut off then phoned again to be met by that response stated i would think it was recorded but it only goes to show how absolutly arrogant these people are i will be asking for a transcript of that phone call tomorrow and will let you no what they say as we asked them to put it on there system what transpired
  • okehmelc
    i cant get an assesmant because they want me to go there again im refusing cos of the lying assesor this has been goin on for two years its ridiculous there taking the **** they have all the information they need for dwp to make a descision but capita refuse the home visit when dwp have recomded they do its not right what there doing to me its a farce i havent anything in two years leaving me iller than i was i have blood clots hepatas c and totally addicted to there prescription medicines they have prescribe me for 35 years of 25 tablets a day +blood thinners +diabetic tablets im on 30 tablets a day

• redhead53
    redhead53 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    mike he stated clearly he went for assessment it was ended by acesser claiming he swore now he has to convince dwp that acesser is lying or he will lose benefits  ???i thought you were an expert you do not read posts clearly?????MY ADVICE CONTACT DIRECTOR GENERAL DWP COMPLAIN BITTERLY THEN THEY CONTACT CAPITA AND FORCE ANOTHER ASSESSMENT BUT ON NEXT ONE TAPE IT
  • redhead53
    edited May 2018
    ONE OTHER POINT I AM SURPRISED THE DWP DID NOT SUPPLY YOU WITH ANOTHER ASSESSMENT AND GETTING ALL INFO IS A GOOD IDEA I LISTENED TO A BANNED POSTER WHO WAS TREATED LIKE A FOOL AND DOING AS HE SAID IE DIRECTER GENERAL I GOT ENHANCED ON BOTH WITH NEW ASSESSMENT FORCED BY DWP

• redhead53
    THE PART ABOUT CONFIDENTIALITY I WOULD THINK ALL STAFF ARE UNDER STRICK REGS ON THIS SO STAFF ARE OKAY IF THEY HEAR OR DISCUSS CLAIMANTS
  • okehmelc
    to raise the first point made by mikehughessq i had a face to face which was terminated by a lying assessor which reulted in this two year farce we did not do what she said and thas supposed swearing and get aggressive towards her i simply asked her if she was qualified tio assess me withe ilnessis i have which she wouldnt ans instead she said me and my partner started swearing and aggressive which is not true and shut down my assesmant as she was uncomfortable sh also said when we were leaving i stared at her in a menacing way total rubbish if she felt in anyway threatened she could of left the room and called security but she didnt we simply left the room when she terminated the assesmant i asked her for her name as i would be making a complaint and we left as for attending the assesmant in the first place i was able to on that day but my situation changes on a daily basis like today i cant even stand up im so tired i suffer blood clots i hasve hep c and diabetis and an addiction of prescribed drugs over 30 years of taking 30 tablets a day in total im 64 years old and the four things combined on some days leave me in bed sometimes unable to move for two or three days at a time my reason for not attending there assesmant again at capita is im not going again to be called a liar or accused of anything like it i have always agrred to have a home visit and should be allowed one under the circumstances which was sanctioned by the dwp but refused by capita and dwp say they have to go on capitas decision which is total rubbish as dwp employ capita and dwp arer the final descion makers they recommended a home visit so why are capita refusing no ans to that question and it goes on and on i say im not attending because of the way ive been treated and they wont come to my home as recomended this has been going on for two years backward and forward my solution is fair i went to see them and was totally insulted they would not recieve treatmant like that at my house on a visit they do have enough evidence to make a desision as my partner who lives with has sent them a long detailed letter of how my illneses affects my everyday life the doctor wrote a letter to them on the information they wanted but couldnt ans the question they wanted to no he simply ans unkown to all the questions cos he dosent live with me he referred them to the health proffesional who could ans the questions which they wont follow up on this case is typical way they pass the buck backwards and forward betwwen thereselves and make me suffer its a slur on my character over lies by an assessor and im not backing down why should i a home visit is recmended by dwp agreed by me refused by capita im 65 in two months time and they are now after all this time saying there gonna shut my claim down if they dont get medical evidence from my doctor which capita already have this is dwp asking for it its a joke the lot of it how convenient to shut it down now im 65 and pip dosent apply both dwp and capita are obstructing my claim im disgusted by them both all this over a lying assessor who is believed and im not
  • okehmelc
    ive tried every where to get help on the legal side of things here but nobody seems to want to no il try the law society tomorrow dont hold up much hope tho as il be expected to do all the work and represent myself no doubt and as a older indiviual i wont be able to do it because of illness the sick vunerable disabled are bieng totally biullied by the govermant and firms like capita and im ashamed to be british corruption runs to deep while the rich get richer the poor get poorer shame on all of them all
  • okehmelc
    edited May 2018
    point 2 on redheads comment my assesmant was listened to by the receptionist as she sat in kitchen eating her lunch as you here whats bieng said in the assesmant room from there this means anybody in the kitchen can listen to your assesmant and here all your assesmant this means capita are not compling to data protection and are clearly in breach of it i phoned the complaints team and the woman agreed you can hear assesmant if sat in the kitchen area but said it wasnt a breach of confidentiality my point bieng people go every day for assesmants and it can be heard by anybody in the kitchen this has to be stopped at once but they refuse to acknowlege it as a breach i notice the benifit assessor on here aggrees its a breach but makes no comment on what should be done as people attend assesmant everyday in that room acomment would be nice mikehughescq as you no this is totally unacceptable and your advice what i should do about it and how does it affect my claim
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I would try to take a step back emotionally from this horrible situation and look at it practically. It’s been going on a long time and you are not moving forward. Think about and write down what do you want to happen about your claim. Separately do the same about your complaint. Then get advice about your next steps with each . Plan it out and take the advice given here and from outside here. Record everything you are doing in a notebook with time and date and peoples names so you can keep track. Good luck.
  • okehmelc
    edited May 2018
    ive noted you comments mike and have an appointment with my dr who is going to write a report for dwp so we can get a resolution hopefully what about this part where anybody can listen in to my assesment while its in motion if sat in the kitchen i have a written statement from a receptionist that did this on my claim with the assesor she said she heard everything and supports the assesor fully ha ha and backs up the lies she told i rang capita complaints and put this to them and they deem this as it was a receptionists perception of what went on asd if shes allowed an opinion they say it isnt a breah of confidentiality or data protection and wont reveiw it can you ans this point for me il take your comment as your opinion and am willing to listen to what you think and how do you think this should be  handled by capita as it is an ongoing thing supported by capita conplaints team saying you can hear from the kitchen   this is from the capita website
    A trained Disability Assessor will look at all the information you have provided to DWP as part of the application process. We may supplement this information by asking for further evidence from the contacts you have provided. Please be assured, we will treat all information in the strictest confidence and in line with data protection laws.
    in your opinion was my asesmant even legal

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Personally I have never experienced this sort of carry on. I could never be accused of lying, being obstructive etc. All of my answers were yes/no - the assessor made sure of that with how she was continually asking closed questions and either wanting me to agree or disagree to her suggestions. For my next re-assessment probably in November 2019 I intend to take an A4 sized card with YES printed on one side and NO printed on the other. It would save the effort in talking and running the risk of being seen as not co-operating.
  • okehmelc
    i would like this thread now finished as a very serious matter has come to my attention i have had my options told me by mikehughescq in his opinion which i have taken on board but my case goes much deeper in new information i have just recieved through the post and i want no more comments made on this post please as i feel it would jepordise my case thank you for commenting one and all i have taken legal advice and i will make no ther comment on this post

• okehmelc
    how do i do that mikehughes

• sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    What an awful experience to go through.  I really feel for you.  
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.